POW Sitka Blacktail 2021 DIY

44hunter45

Gear List basically complete. I am a walking Sitka Gear advertisement at this point.

Flights RT to Ketchikan Aug 15-29 - Booked.
Taquan float plane to Hollis Aug 15 - Not Booked (they won't sell that ticket yet.)
Ketchikan-Hollis Ferry Aug 15 - Booked
Hollis-Ketchikan Ferry Aug 28 - Booked
Truck - rented.
Annual Hunting and Fishing Combo License - Done & printed
Locking tag - Delivered
Harvest Ticket - Printed and filed.

I will be getting my son's lic/tag/ticket when he gets account set up. He is more interested in fishing.

Getting food lists ready. We plan to spike out of the truck, so we won't have to carry 14 days of Peak and MH on our backs.

Still lots of e-scouting

All my camping gear goes out on an Idaho spring bear trip unless a turkey gig comes up.

Special thanks to @AKHawken for his exceptional ongoing help.

Last edited:
Planning is half the fun !! Looking forward to reading about your hunt !!

Gear List basically complete. I am a walking Sitka Gear advertisement at this point.

Flights RT to Ketchikan Aug 15-29 - Booked.
Taquan float plane to Hollis Aug 15 - Not Booked (they won't sell that ticket yet.)
Hollis-Ketchikan Ferry Aug 28 - Booked
Truck - rented.
Annual Hunting and Fishing Combo License - Done & printed
Locking tag - awaiting delivery
Harvest Ticket - Awaiting Locking Tag number.

I will be getting my son's lic/tag/ticket when he gets account set up. He is more interested in fishing, but will hunt also.

Getting food lists ready. We plan to spike out of the truck, so we won't have to carry 14 days of Peak and MH on our backs.

Still lots of e-scouting

All this gear goes out on an Idaho spring bear trip unless a turkey gig comes up.

Special thanks to @AKHawken for his exceptional ongoing help.
Did you half to apply for preference point? best of luck

Did you half to apply for preference point? best of luck
Hello @Chase0029

No. This is an over the counter hunt. You will see the acronym OTC used here on HuntTalk for this.

You can learn about Alaskan hunts at their website.

If you have a minute, please head over to this forum and tell us a little about yourself.

Going with my M70 7mmRM for this because its the lightest rifle I have.
Anyone have any pet loads for Hammers in a 1-9.5 twist 7mmRM?

Interesting...I, too, plan on being in that area chasing deer...wonder if we will cross paths.

Looking forward to this adventure as well. Every time I've been to POW or Etolin I'm wondering why I'm only fishing and not climbing through the devil's club en-route to the alpine looking for deer. Piss poor planning on my part I guess.

I have a couple of pins in the map. I need to send them to @AKHawken to tell me if I'm crazy to try to get to them.
If you think you might head north drop me a pm. We are in Whale Pass, and local calls from the phone at the dock are free, so we could arrange for a visit pretty easily. There is no cell service once you head north on 43 at the Control Lake junction.

Did a DIY deer and bear hunt on POW a few years ago. Flew in and used a Forest Service cabin. Only 1 bear taken between the 3 of us with no deer even sighted. Caught and ate fish all week which was worth the price of admission itself. Still one of if not my favorite hunt(s).

44hunter45,
Best of luck to you. Could you advise where you got the mug in the above photo? Thanks,
JM

Dug out my old fly reel last night, cleaned it and re-lubed it. Need a new rod as the old one had a fatal collision with a truck door. Then kids happened and I just never got out again.
I've never done salmon or steeelhead with a fly. Is a four piece #7 too light?

A #7 is a little light I much prefer an 8wt. On POW all you need is a floating line, since you’re primarily hunting. Take a look at Bristol Bay Flies, they’ve done a real good job of developing some regional favorites for silvers. Make sure you take some WOGS with you. They don’t always work but if the fish are on them it’s more fun then you should be allowed to have. It’s been 20 years since Ive been on POW, it’s a great place, you’ll have fun.

Back