Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

POW 2021 bear hunt, who is applying?

I’m definitely putting in for a tag, whether I can get anyone else to go with me or not! That place is addicting!

I was surpised at the number of people I saw up there this year and I was driving an hour, and then boating from there. Crazy! I guess this thread is a component of that. I will put in for sure.

I was surpised at the number of people I saw up there this year and I was driving an hour, and then boating from there. Crazy! I guess this thread is a component of that. I will put in for sure.

Lol I have a feeling 15% of all the hunters in POW this year are forum members.

Reactions: LCH
I only ever saw one other group of guys the whole time I was there, and they were pretty friendly folks from AZ, I ended up on the ferry ride back with them. Poor fellas weren't seeing much from the road system, so they rented a skiff and wound up sinking it. Kinda reaffirms my decision to stick to the cuts and logging roads, though you probably do see a lot fewer bears.

I only ever saw one other group of guys the whole time I was there, and they were pretty friendly folks from AZ, I ended up on the ferry ride back with them. Poor fellas weren't seeing much from the road system, so they rented a skiff and wound up sinking it. Kinda reaffirms my decision to stick to the cuts and logging roads, though you probably do see a lot fewer bears.

Wow, did they say how they ended up sinking the skiff? That water is cold, so I'm glad they made it to shore. Tides can be tough, lucky guys for sure if they sank it out away from shore vs just losing the boat.

Last edited:
I think we will give it a shot again, bows only this time. Our experience was a little different. We originally started hunting the area near Whale Pass and Coffman Cove. Unfortunately the green up was well underway upon our arrival which limits visibility to near zero. We only saw 2 bears the first 2 days from the road system in that area. Day 3 we ended up getting a skiff and saw 15 bears in the last 4 hours of light, they were all over the beaches. In total we saw 33 bears (3 from the ferry on the way in- that gets you excited!), 25 from the skiff and 5 from the truck. It would have been better to arrive a week or two earlier than we did, May 16th, to avoid the major green up. However, I think this year's green up was a little earlier then normal. Also the tide swings were extreme, about 15-20 feet every 6 hours. That's 3 feet an hour, a foot every 20 minutes, an inch about every 2 minutes! Beaching the skiff required constant attention or you would be high and dry in minutes. Plus the water can get pretty rough and a few hours in a 16 foot aluminum skiff can really beat you up. Next time we will rent a skiff and truck but base out of a different area. The logistics of getting to POW are nice, large carts at both ferry ports makes it easy to load, plenty of taxis to get form the airport to ferry terminal, hollis rentals will leave a truck at the hollis ferry terminal for you. I was worried about having to drag several heavy bags/fish boxes around, never was a problem. It was very fun! Highly recommend but also don't overlook the surrounding island units.

Wow, did they say how they ended up sinking the skiff? That water is cold, so I'm glad they made it to shore. Tides can be tough, lucky guys for sure if they sank it out away from shore vs just losing the boat.
They had a bigger boat and got it marooned at low tide. The boat leaned to one side, and when the tide came back in it filled the boat and eventually covered it completely.

They had a bigger boat and got it marooned at low tide. The boat leaned to one side, and when the tide came back in it filled the boat and eventually covered it completely.
Pssssh newbs ... everyone knows you make sure you have enough beers at any one time that you can wait out the tides...

Back