Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Post Rut Elk Calling - learn the craft or leave it alone?

Wisconsinhunter

Hello all. I am looking for some advice. I can find plenty of info on how to call a bull in during the rut, but I cannot seem to find much info on post rut calling. I'll be in a draw unit in the northern part of CO during first rifle, so Oct 13-17.

This will be my third time out there during rifle season and I haven't heard one elk make any noises.

Seeing that its post rut and public land, I am leaning towards not using any calls, but does anyone have any luck on public land? I would love to do some locating bugles, but I don't think learning the craft is worth the effort for a post rut hunt.

Thanks for any help.

There's a possibility of getting a response and maybe even a fired up bull. It's your choice if you want to learn it. Glassing will be your go-to method of finding elk.

I would focus on spot and stalk, after all the pressure elk get in most low draw/otc units in CO during archery season I think you are more likely to blow them out calling than anything.

Disclaimer- I'm not good at calling.

Once you get past his first name, Jocko is the best thing out currently. He is a retired Navy Seal and typically his podcast involves reading from older military books and then giving his opinions/breakdowns. He even has guests on the podcast, that appear in the books.

http://jockopodcast.com/

Back