Caribou Gear

Post Bird Season Outdoor Columnist Piece

onpoint

I feel a slight disappointment at the end of any season; I like doing what I do, why wouldn't I? But that feeling only lasts a moment, as there is always something in season.

Archery begins in Sept, Rifle in October as does Waterfowl. Upland is going on until the end of the year, including turkeys. Ducks carry me through January. Afterwards I will look for lions and wolves until spring. Here there "might" be a break of a few weeks until bear and turkey get going in April and May, but you have to clean gear sometime. Then I flyfish the summer away until archery season begins again. In Montana, there really isn't an off season.

Still, I understand the authors point, but encourage him to widen his focus. This is an outdoorsman's dream and should be enjoyed fully.

I feel a slight disappointment at the end of any season; I like doing what I do, why wouldn't I? But that feeling only lasts a moment, as there is always something in season.

Archery begins in Sept, Rifle in October as does Waterfowl. Upland is going on until the end of the year, including turkeys. Ducks carry me through January. Afterwards I will look for lions and wolves until spring. Here there "might" be a break of a few weeks until bear and turkey get going in April and May, but you have to clean gear sometime. Then I flyfish the summer away until archery season begins again. In Montana, there really isn't an off season.

Still, I understand the authors point, but encourage him to widen his focus. This is an outdoorsman's dream and should be enjoyed fully.

Hmm. Interesting take.
I guess I saw it more as the view from someone (like myself) who highly values, appreciates, and lives bird hunting and bird dogs.
Heinlein has been an avid MT outdoorsman for many decades, and I believe has a deep appreciation that a long term hunter/angler lifestyle cultivates. something I relate to. I also hunt many spp. for many months as well as fish a bit:rolleyes:.
I agree, there is no off season in MT, but after an absolutely wonderful 34 years of absolutely wonderful hunting birds here, I appreciate heartfelt reflection at season's end.
But then again, I and my two bearded ladies hunted Blues, Ruffies, Sharptails, Huns, and roosters a total of 40 some days in the last 4 months...……...

Last edited:
If my bird hunts weren't trips I could very well see myself having those same sentiments.

I can hardly watch a sparrow in flight without figuring how much lead to give it.

This cracked me up.

Even though I still have a few more weeks, I can and will relate to the same thoughts and feelings.

Also, my gas budget needs an off season.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back