Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Possibly last year on this property. Making the most of it.

geetar

My favorite waterfowl and only private land spot that I have left has gone up for sale. Probably gonna be the last year I get to hunt it. 10 years ago I got my start on this property with some second hand decoys and zero knowledge of waterfowl hunting whatsoever. I just knew I wanted to do it. I’ve had some good times on this land over the years and learned a lot. Usually don’t hunt the first split because there are fewer birds down south this time of year but I did this year knowing that my time is limited on this property. Bagged one nice wood duck. Probably gonna share some of my favorite photos and stories from this land over the years in this thread. CC70D42E-7634-4C40-BEF6-DFA7CC2CEA4A.jpeg

Sorry to hear that, it sucks! My brother and I were in the same boat a little over a year ago with our waterfowl hunting spot. We scraped together enough to buy it. There is a house on it so I'm selling mine after convincing the wife to move into that one. It's a downgrade as far as the actual house goes by a long shot, but I've got a pretty cool wife. I couldnt stand the thought of watching that spot go I guess. I hope you find another spot or maybe you'll gain permission from the new owner. If your in good with the current owner a good word from them when they sell may go a long way.

Thanks for the advice. I mainly posted this because I knew it was a story that would resonate with others who have gone through the same thing. I’ll probably just end up hunting a lot more public water after I lose this piece. NC has a fair amount of good options for public waterfowl hunting.

Well at least you have some public nearby. In my area its pretty slim and the competition is nuts with all the people from city and suburbs. Every bit of land around here is leased. 15 years ago when I was in high school I had more places to hunt than I could actually hunt. Those days are gone and never coming back. Especially since people are waiting in line to lease hunting rights nowadays.

The first duck I ever killed was on this property and it’s the only one I’ve ever mounted from there. Although I do regret not mounting a black duck drake I shot there. There’s a good story with that one I’ll share later. Here’s a pic of my first duck. I mounted him flying instead of sitting like a lot of folks do wood ducks. 962D51D6-CA74-4DFD-BEE1-0D86AB186098.jpeg

Sorry to hear about your loss. We went through decades of having places sold or leased from underneath us. We joined a waterfowl club, but it just wasn't the same. Best of luck finding a new place.

Getting harder to find huntable places anymore. There are a number of deer clubs down East which lease large properties that contain great duck holes but the deer season runs so long down there that they are hesitant to allow anyone to hunt their swampy duck spots and I can see their point. I do most of my duck hunting floating the blackwater rivers and creeks down East but with my wife's current medical condition those days are dwindling as she needs me here to care for her. Hope you can hook up with another hunter or find someone who will allow you to access some good water. I get a lot of pleasure out of trying to outsmart those sneaky little devils.

Sorry to hear that. I love chasing those woodies. Awesome birds I have been dying to get out after them but not in the cards this fall. Building a garage and it's taking all my time and money.

Sorry to hear about your loss. We went through decades of having places sold or leased from underneath us. We joined a waterfowl club, but it just wasn't the same. Best of luck finding a new place.
Thanks! I know what you mean. This is the last of the places I grew up hunting besides the farm my parents live on. Makes me think of the Travis Tritt song Country ain’t country no more.

Getting harder to find huntable places anymore. There are a number of deer clubs down East which lease large properties that contain great duck holes but the deer season runs so long down there that they are hesitant to allow anyone to hunt their swampy duck spots and I can see their point. I do most of my duck hunting floating the blackwater rivers and creeks down East but with my wife's current medical condition those days are dwindling as she needs me here to care for her. Hope you can hook up with another hunter or find someone who will allow you to access some good water. I get a lot of pleasure out of trying to outsmart those sneaky little devils.
That’s a fact. Hate to hear your wife’s health isn’t good. I’ll be on the lookout for good public as well as private opportunities. I don’t have to limit out every time I just like to hunt waterfowl and shoot enough to eat on and admire the beauty of the birds in the air and in my hand.

A couple shots from last season. 2 days after Christmas. The ducks weren’t flying good but 7 geese came by. My brother and I each picked a bird and fired a shot and 3 geese fell. One got caught up in the middle of our shot and upon cleaning them both of our pellets were in it. ( we shoot different brands and different sizes so it was easy to tell ) One of them was my first kill with my new Winchester SXP. 93805745-6F2F-40C2-9E22-0C993088E7A0.jpeg17D6FBBF-B290-447E-BA8C-4D729BD6F2C8.jpeg

I feel your pain and I’m sure it hits home for a lot of people. I grew up hunting on everyone’s land around us. Then one by one they became posted, leased or just plain don’t bother me types who wouldn’t accept a helping hand. Public land is really crowded but if it’s all you have, you’ll learn to appreciate it very much. Good luck in finding another happy spot.

I feel your pain and I’m sure it hits home for a lot of people. I grew up hunting on everyone’s land around us. Then one by one they became posted, leased or just plain don’t bother me types who wouldn’t accept a helping hand. Public land is really crowded but if it’s all you have, you’ll learn to appreciate it very much. Good luck in finding another happy spot.
Thanks! Guess I’ll just get used to the crowds. Beats staying home.

Sharing a moment at the end of a hunt with my Boykin spaniel. He passed two summers ago. This particular day he had chased down a black duck that I had shot down and brought it back to me still alive. It had attempted to get away from him several times and he kept chasing it and finally with a calculated leap as the bird took off again he grabbed it with his mouth and swam back to me. I was real proud of him that day. Only black duck I’ve ever got. I regret not mounting that one. 383E0E2C-5FA7-4C7D-9239-11D4E2E29E4D.jpeg

First duck of 2018. Notice the same inside of the blind is mud covered. It got washed away in a September 2018 hurricane flood and my brother and I had quite a time uprighting it and tying it off to a tree so it can’t float off again. 54672733-B7C0-4EA3-B0DA-6DC199195BEC.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back