Caribou Gear Tarp

Possible end to game camera use in AZ

Valgrego

According to Arizona Game and Fish Department (azgfd.com) game cameras may be outlawed for hunting. The council is meeting in March to discuss the issue. To read more about this, go to www.azgfd.com. I think a lot of the outfitters are going to raise hell about this.

I honestly see no reason for game cameras on public lands, do what you want on private. I hope it catches on nation-wide. People are so desperate to know what is going on in the woods when they aren't around that the "need" for cameras seems to have exploded. There are outfitters in AZ that put out hundreds of cameras so they can find where the biggest animals are living so they can go kill them and get paid. How is that sporting? Same goes for the joe schmo with a couple dozen cameras. People are so desperate for success they miss the whole point of hunting. It isn't about the meat, and hasn't been for a long time... YMMV Game cameras are cheating the game, its like Belichick reading lips...

There guys that says that cameras don't help them... So if that is the case, then why use them? Game cameras rank right up there with crossbows in archery season.

I would generally support their use on private lands only
The game camera issue kind of falls in line with discussions on allowable/ethical hunting methods: long bow vs recurve vs compound vs crossbows; flintlock vs in-line muzzy; 1000yard shots vs 100yard shots; baiting vs not baiting; multiple cans of worms have been opened up on all these and more issues.

I honestly see no reason for game cameras on public lands, do what you want on private. I hope it catches on nation-wide. People are so desperate to know what is going on in the woods when they aren't around that the "need" for cameras seems to have exploded. There are outfitters in AZ that put out hundreds of cameras so they can find where the biggest animals are living so they can go kill them and get paid. How is that sporting? Same goes for the joe schmo with a couple dozen cameras. People are so desperate for success they miss the whole point of hunting. It isn't about the meat, and hasn't been for a long time... YMMV Game cameras are cheating the game, its like Belichick reading lips...

There guys that says that cameras don't help them... So if that is the case, then why use them? Game cameras rank right up there with crossbows in archery season.
Funny you mention that. I friend of mine went hunting on his cousin's ranch in TX. When he told them about AZ laws regarding baiting (can't under any circumstances BTW), they asked, "then how do you hunt if you can't use bait?"

Thankfully NV already enacted a regulation for this purpose. (y)

• The new trail camera regulation states that a person shall not place, maintain, or use a trail camera or similar device on public land, or private land without permission from the landowner, from August 1 to December 31 of each year.
  • OR if the camera is capable of transmitting the images or video, it shall not be used from July 1 to December 31.
  • OR prohibits the use of trail cameras at any time if the placement, maintenance or use of the trail camera or similar device prevents wildlife from accessing, or alters the manner in which wildlife accesses, a spring, water source or artificial basin that is used by wildlife and collects, or is designed and constructed to collect water.
  • The new regulation does provide some limited exemptions for livestock monitoring, research, and other miscellaneous uses.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back