Possession or Adventure?

CPAjeff

It's getting that time of year where the "What would you like for Christmas?" question is being asked more frequently. I've always been more of an adventure over possessions kind of guy (i.e. I'd rather buy a tag over getting the newest and greatest hunting gadget.)

How about you?

I love adventure. It is nice to fill a tag but to make it challenging the animal has to win once in awhile. I have hunted the World over in some places strange, some cold, some dangerous not to check list animals but to vary the adventure. my hunting is basically a solitary effort and I follow my interpretation of Fair Chase which may be more restrictive than how others pursue quarry but the adventure is the main drive force.

Adventure, without question. The DIY house projects, wrenching on a vehicle with a headlamp on, and working side jobs/OT are all worth it when I can hunt every week from September to the end of January.

I like stuff. I mean, who cares about months of planning and then execution of big adventures with a small group friends and/or family? I would probably forget about those trips, at some point, anyway. I would still have the stuff. Maybe.

On second thought, maybe I have too much stuff, and not enough adventure.

The popular and correct answer is adventure.

That said, there are certain possessions that are gifts that keep giving, and frankly some are as valuable to me as adventures. Those being some really good books and maps. A good book can be additive to a lifetime of adventures.

Adventure with the exception of some handmade gifts I've received.

If it weren’t for adventure, I’d probably be retired or almost at 49. And I’d have to learn and experience all the cool stuff for the first time as a middle aged man, not to mention my kids wouldn’t have all of that experience, either. F that. I wouldn’t trade a damn minute of it.

Experience is really all we have.

If it wasn’t for the dang virus I’d be packing for Chile right now.

The adventure will provide vivid memories for life. And every day is an adventure for me now.
One trip to NM and 25 yrs later ,I'll be helping out on a last day elk hunt @ o'dark thirty, here @ Camp Hank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skywagon
Back