Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Portland or Boise?

JohnCushman

I have a friend looking to move and he's narrowed his choices down to either Portland or Boise. What are any pros/cons to either from the guys who live in either place?

Portland has a huge heroin problem, probably one of the worst in the western US.... and all the side effects that go with it.....that right there would make my decision.

I live in Boise, Small enough town, close to outdoor stuff, no great mexican food. It's a tradeoff I'm willing to make

I've never lived in either, but I've been to both many times and lived near Boise. For me, it would be Boise every time the choice was between those two. Depending on hunting/fishing preferences the choices close to those two towns vary quite a lot, but for my preferences in hunting/fishing it would again be Boise. Weather is going to be quite distinct between them as well, again my choice would be Boise. So many things are very different between those two places, most of it being a matter of personal choice, you'd need to visit both.

Boise--

ID has some awesome OTC elk and deer hunting. Not to mention the fairest allocation system for "Big 3" permits.

But it depends on whether your friend is looking for more of an urban environment. If that is the case, Portland definitely provides many more of the city amenities. Depends on where he is coming from and what style of life he desires.

One other proviso regards the prevailing political climate in each place. Idaho goes pretty hard right and Oregon, Portland especially, goes pretty hard left. Each with the respective positive and negatives of those indisputable realities.

To me this isn't even close. If you can't find a way to settle in Montana, Idaho is a pretty great consolation prize.

Portland sucks almost as bad as the states hunting.

I've heard this before but never heard specific complaints. What is Oregon getting wrong? Also, I'm Cush's friend in the scenario. He couldn't keep from enlisting help to sway my decisions!

A fishing client from Portland told me the city's new motto is " Portland, where young people come to retire". Boise by a country mile. Oregon's idea of game management is to sell more tags.

Wherever you decide to move to good luck. I have never lived out west, but if I could convince my wife which I try to do often enough, it would be Idaho. Most beautiful IMHO and lots of oppourtunity to hunt all sorts of game.

If you choose Portland, don't move anywhere near Portland State University. I am currently a student there, and the anti hunting crowd has a very strong presence here among other things. Moving away from my hometown in southern Oregon to attend college is proving to be not so great after all lol

I've heard this before but never heard specific complaints. What is Oregon getting wrong? Also, I'm Cush's friend in the scenario. He couldn't keep from enlisting help to sway my decisions!

We're an opportunity state. Shrinking Elk herds and people around every corner. A three year old Bull is an old timer. If you see a forkie Buck you better shoot. Dink 4x's in Wyoming that get passed are like gold nuggets here. I5 corridor controls all legislative activity. No hounds or baiting for Bears or Cats, passed thru Initiative Petition and efforts to overturn have failed three times.

Boise all day not too big yet, have all the things a man would need in life.. Cabelas and bow shops right? You're within an hour of hunting pretty good Otc elk and deer tags close to snow recreation in the winter wide array of restaurants plenty of brew and cost of living isn't awful

I have to go to Portland on occasion and I never come away feeling good about it. I'm sick and tired of having to step over homeless drug addicts on the sidewalks. I wouldn't wish it on anybody! Boise is a clean city.

I live 35 min from Portland at the base of the coast range , 50 min from the Pacific Ocean , I like it , Portland has amazing food choices
having a beer in portland
View attachment 61734
image.jpg
image.jpg
the deer and elk were both taken 1 hr from portland in the coast range, both hunts were OTC
image.jpg
image.jpg
as for the drugs , every place has drug issues, if your friend dosent have a drug problem now why would he just because he lives buy a big city ??? Cush if your friend moves to portland area you guys can come OTC Blacktails from my man cave in BANKS ORimage.jpg
this pic of a herd of elk was taken 3 miles from my house 45 min from portland, there is good and bad to every place , i choose to look for the GOLD rather than focus on the dirt, you dont have to live in portland , you can choose the metro area, which is the surrounding area
image.jpg
image.jpg
this mule deer unit in eastern oregon takes 1 point or zero to draw , i drew in 2013 and 2014 with zero points, took a buck on both hunts, mines one of the dinks :cool: it was my first deer hunt, i was dropping the first buck i saw
image.jpg
AND YES THE TRAFFIC BLOWS

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:
If I were forced to pick between those two I'd pick Montana.

Last edited:
Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back