Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Portable Survival Shelters

ELKCHSR

What do you guys think
This thing is only 2 1/2" across, 8" long, rolled into a cylinder, weighs in at 5.6 ounces and opens to hold two people and some gear

Can be used in almost any environment in any conditions

http://cloudwalkerllc.weebly.com/

I carry a couple of large, heavy duty contractor trash bags. I threw away my space blanket which I came to feel was too small to do any good in windy conditions.

What are the chances you could tell us more about them?:rolleyes:

I prefer a lightweight silnylon tarp as well. This is a great option for under a pound.

I only carry one if I know I will be hunting all day, and am NOT expecting to get caught out overnight. A simple tarp (silnylon, preferably) can cover your bases. The goal isn't comfort, but getting out of the wind/snow/rain for the night. If you carry too much "just in case", expect to use it; the extra weight of a sleeping bag, pad, tent or shelter will slow you down a fair bit. Go light and fast when you can, but throw in a small shelter under a pound in weight, and something to get a fire going, and you are in business.

These look like pretty good units, everything has its place

I picked up a couple to see what it was since I know the guy

Even though its made from the same material as a space blanket, the comparison is that of a car and a truck....

Same material, different uses

Its packed so small and the price is extremely affordable compared to many other products

Difference is its basically a one time use item and is so small it will fit in a pocket or even some of you guys fanny packs

When set up right, it'll hold two people and some of their gear

It can also be used closer to a fire than these other products in extreme temps

But as it goes for gear, to each his own and every one in this business has an opinion on their chosen devises

To each his own Tyler :) ....

I believe dealers and groups like to buy them in bulk, seems they find it cheaper by the dozen

Looks like a decent product and I am assuming the guy has done some testing regarding durability. Hell for $16 it's worth giving one a try.

There are some guys attached to some Special Forces in Alaska who are putting it thru some tests right now as far as I know, plus some regular guys out of Southern Nevada, Mississippi, Washington and here in Montana

There will be videos soon to see how its set up and used

It is kind of a one time use item though like a space blanket only much larger with a clear face to allow more light in the front, can be reused if taken down carefully

I had one out not long ago in -20 temps to give it a test, dang camera quit working from the cold (was out for a week wandering the hills, didn't set it up until the last night)

I heated the inside with a fire a few feet away, got to about 70 inside temps

The next time I try this, I'm going to bury hot rocks inside when the ground thaws enough, won't be able to do this until late this year though when things get cold again

Price is right, I carry a spare 2 man tent footprint I got on clearance and a space blanket. I can even use it when sitting at a spot and downpour moves thru as a canopy or like a poncho. Weight is nothing and works great, just a different idea

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back