Portable Sawmill?

tzone

Do any of you have one? Do you use it as a hobby, personal building, or to make money?

I have been damn near obsessed with them for a few years. I'm not in a position to buy one yet but will be. Ultimately, I'd like to use it as way to make a bit of extra folding money when I kick the job to the curb. But I'd also use it as a hobby to build things around the property and custom cut wood to mess around with.

For those of you that have one, do you keep it on your property or have the trailer set up to haul?
What do you have for a machine and how do you like it?

I would have one but my place would really be a total mess with logs and lumber stock piled everywhere

I have used them in the past. They are really cool and fun to use in a type 2 fun way. You need to figure out how you’re going to dry the wood and where, unless you’re going to green cut for people on their property and then leave them with the wood. Wood needs to be stacked properly for a long period of time or kiln dried to be usable.

Sawdust fever it's called. No money to be made but if you use it to build your own supplies it can pay off. For what a 2x4 costs it's hard to justify.

I get that as well. I would use it on for my own projects mostly. I wouldn't expect to make anything for other except "custom cuts" type of things. I realize it would be specialty type woods and sizes that would be to small for a legit sawmill to take on.

I'd love to build a wood-shop with it and a pavilion on my property for family gatherings.

I have one, a Woodmizer that's on a trailer that usually stays on my timber property. I have done some custom on site milling but it's mostly a pain in the rear. I use the lumber I saw for personal and clients projects, mostly for barns. It's a lot of hard work but it is also very rewarding. If you plan on sawing larger diameter logs or hardwood, make sure to get plenty of engine. I have a 27 horse Kohler and wish I had more.

I have used them in the past. They are really cool and fun to use in a type 2 fun way. You need to figure out how you’re going to dry the wood and where, unless you’re going to green cut for people on their property and then leave them with the wood. Wood needs to be stacked properly for a long period of time or kiln dried to be usable.

I think mostly I'd build a drying shed of sorts. Mostly to be able to build something with the sawmill. :D

I have one, a Woodmizer that's on a trailer that usually stays on my timber property. I have done some custom on site milling but it's mostly a pain in the rear. I use the lumber I saw for personal and clients projects, mostly for barns. It's a lot of hard work but it is also very rewarding. If you plan on sawing larger diameter logs or hardwood, make sure to get plenty of engine. I have a 27 horse Kohler and wish I had more.

Thank you. Woodmizer seems to be the route to go for a model that's not a Chinese rig. I don't think I'd have an interest in real big diameter logs. I'd leave that to the guys that are equipped for it.

I'd love one. I have a bandsaw with resaw capacity of 14" that I plan to use for turning small logs into slabs for some unique wood projects. But I have yet to find the time to focus on that. You might consider a band saw with resaw capacity as an intermediate step.

I hire out guys that have sawmills. Sometimes they come to me, sometimes I go to them.

I don't see how they make money at it. They need (minimally), a skid loader or a tractor with grapple or forks, a good sized trailer to haul logs and lumber, a bigger truck, and probably a solar kiln, plus a way to dispose of the tailings, oh, and a place to store it (preferably set up and usable) under cover.

You might check with your DNR or Ag Extension people and see if you have many competitors in the area. It stuns me how many other sawmills are near me.

I own a lot of hardwood, but it is far more economical to sell the wood on the stump and to have what I need for me and friends sawn by someone else.

The company I work for has a big electric Woodmizer. Came with wheels, but not really portable due to power requirements. To saw anything substantial, the big electric ones are a must. Kinda cool we can mill our own timbers for custom homes. mtmuley

I have a good friend that has a woodmizer. I have used it more than he has. He builds custom furniture and bar tops. The lumber we get off of it makes great furniture. Some of the coolest character I have seen in wood came from his mill. In my area paying someone to mill is cheaper than buying a mill. He stumbled on his for free.

I hire out guys that have sawmills. Sometimes they come to me, sometimes I go to them.

I don't see how they make money at it. They need (minimally), a skid loader or a tractor with grapple or forks, a good sized trailer to haul logs and lumber, a bigger truck, and probably a solar kiln, plus a way to dispose of the tailings, oh, and a place to store it (preferably set up and usable) under cover.

You might check with your DNR or Ag Extension people and see if you have many competitors in the area. It stuns me how many other sawmills are near me.

I own a lot of hardwood, but it is far more economical to sell the wood on the stump and to have what I need for me and friends sawn by someone else.

All valid points. Building a covered area for the saw is one thing I'd plan to do shortly after the purchase. Having a big enough truck was already factored in. But the more I thought about it the more I realized I'd need a large trailer and at least a tractor for the bigger stuff. But like I said, I'm not looking to make a business out of it per se', just maybe pay for some of the costs of the hobby...because lets face it. At the age I'll be when I have this thing, and considering what it's actually built for, it will be a hobby.

I have a good friend that has a woodmizer. I have used it more than he has. He builds custom furniture and bar tops. The lumber we get off of it makes great furniture. Some of the coolest character I have seen in wood came from his mill. In my area paying someone to mill is cheaper than buying a mill. He stumbled on his for free.

Funny you mention building furniture, that's what got this damn ball rolling. 😁

I hired someone to come to my property with a portable sawmill to make some boards from a white oak I cut down. It's nice to make stuff with wood from your land, even though it would be cheaper to just buy it. I'm not sure if the guy gave me a deal because he had another job nearby but it cost $150 to do a bunch of 2" thick boards. seemed really cheap to me.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back