Votes: 53 27.7%
  • Further than 1 mile

Votes: 22 11.5%
  • Further than 3 miles

Votes: 13 6.8%
  • Further than 10 miles

Votes: 6 3.1%

• Total voters
Most of my weekends are living out of a pickup. Crap where ever I am when I have to crap.

On the prairie it is off the back bumper, over a ground squirrel hole. Burn my blue paper and kick dirt over it.

Probably only pisses off the ground squirrels.

Agree with Bambi, much more comfortable in the woods than a disgusting pit toilet.🤮

I love pooping in the woods, but often at crowded areas we're experiencing an uptick of people who don't dig proper cat holes or ANY cat hole... and toilet paper is left out flapping in the wind / stuck to shrubs. So your question I think is less about what is a 'finer' experience and more about 'what should I do when I have access to a pit toilet to reduce my impact on the land I'm using?'. I'd argue that if you're that close to the pit toilet, even if you like a good woods poo maybe use the pit toilet to reduce the amount of human poop out there in our lovely woods.
This

I abstained from voting. As a care taker of public toilets, most pit latrines, I take pride in providing a clean pooping facility. Not everywhere is this way, not every pit toilet is created equal.

If the facility is a mile from camp and I’m going to be going by it anyways, sure I’ll take advantage of the opportunity. Am I going to walk a mile out of my way to poop in a pit toilet? Absolutely not.

My answer changes based on how long I have already been in the woods. Days 1-5, no problem, not worth a walk more than to the nearest cover. Days 5-20 I'm definitely more interested in facilities. 20+ and I'd pay folding money for a seat, even if it's ice cold.

First consideration is always, Poop with a View.

For example, from my last antelope hunt...
2016 View from camp.JPG

For those that don't already know, there is a fairly useful book on Amazon and elsewhere titled, "How to shit in the Woods". It is in, at least, it's 4th edition. Seriously.

I prefer to leave mine in a fairly visible place, even within site of an outhouse. I always hide my paper. When finished, I like to firmly place a $1 note on top, making sure I've rubbed it in a little to cement it into place.
You laugh and joke, but you would be surprised at the amount of people who crap in front of, beside or behind the pit latrine.

Anyone here go to Philmont? First few days nobody wanted to visit the Red Roof Inn unless they were alone. Day 8 we're dropping deuces side by side as female Venture Crews walked past.

Back