Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Pony soldier 2

diamond hitch

For those that have wanted to try horses here are a few tips. Elk hunting is a poor place to hold a rodeo. I've been in a few horse wrecks and try to keep those to a minimum. I like to start with a seasoned pony 8 - 10 years old if possible. I had to replace a horse this year from old age and had to settle for a 6 year old. I tend to hunt with one of my cheaper rifles until I'm sure we are past the surprise stage.

I ride a western saddle and outfit it with britchen and chest collar to keep the saddle aligned in steep terrain. A lot of cowboys use cruppers but I pack with my stock and the pack saddles come with britchen so they just as well get use to it. We usually hunt in pairs but I spend a lot of time alone doing recon since I have the time. All of the lodgepoles are falling so I carry an arber saw for cutting trees and a dandy saw for cutting elk. sometimes its the only way to get out of the woods. I have modified my gun scabbard for maximum protection from snow with a custom cover. I carry a larriet in case I kill one on a closed road with snow and have towed them out. They are also handy when hunting in pairs to pull one of the horses out if you lose one in the bogs. I also carry 25 ft of 1/2 inch hemp with braided ends to facilitat packing quarters. I have saddle bags for various items but try to avoid a lot of weight on the horses kidneys.

I wear elkhide chaps because they are warm and keep the snow off my pants. I maintain a heavy riding coat ( usually orange) to keep fromgetting cold when I'm sweaty from a long hike or when the temperature gets below zero. I use military arctic mitts keep my hands warm and whatever warm headgear meets the day. Sometimes a couple choices.

I try to avoid the areas the foot hunters are in and focus on the remote back country. Last year I had my left hip replaced and started hunting season at 10 weeks after surgery. I rode 30 days and averaged 10 miles a day on horsesback and 4 miles a day on foot. Retirement is not to be wasted. Hope this gives you some thought provoking material.

diamond hitch, thank you for the tips. I resumed a big game hunting career after getting horses to use running pointing dogs in field trials.

Field trial horses, from what I've experienced make very good hunting horses. For one they get used, hours at a time, day after day. They get used to a lot of chaos. All of their use gets them into really good physical shape.

I do not presently have a pack saddle and use cruppers and breast collars with a riding saddle. So I've made do with the panniers you can drape over a saddle. So far it has gotten elk off the mountain without a hitch.

A bonus when hunting from a horse is, at the least, you get to see some beautiful country from the back of a horse. And when you do get an elk,,, they are the best friend a guy can have.

From one retired guy to another, keep enjoying your retirement and safe trails.

Good read, what type of shoes do your horses wear? Seems like sometimes in wet snow shoed horses are not as agile as barefoot when walking off trail.
My daughter is in a 4-H packing clinic taught by the Montana Backcountry Horsemen and it’s been interesting. Seems like there are lots of proven methods.

The only drawback I have found of hunting on horseback is when you can see your target from the saddle but when you get off - you are too short. Then the dillema hits- do you pull the gun out of the boot and get back on for a shot (a risk function) or continue riding until a better opportunity arises. Often I find there is a curiosity on the elk about the horses. I have frequently ridden right to them got off the horse and shot my meat. A couple of times the elk have run to me for the shot. Kind of like riding a decoy.

I hunt in rugged rocky environments. I use heel and toe shoes and haven't had any problems. The snow is usually fluffy and cold and isn't prone to clumping. I wear caulked pacs most of the time. When the snow gets wet I change to air bobs with caulks on the instep. They keep those wild rides down the hill on poles to a minimum.

over the years I have run into a few that used snow pads on their ponies but so far I haven't needed to learn how to do that. I have considered sharp shod Shoes but talked to a gent that did it and decided no to. He said the riding was fine but the bloodbath in the horse trailer was ugly.

I have sharp shod my horses with snow pads for several years with no problems at all. I do worry a bit that they could cut their lower legs scrambling in the trailer. My farrier brazes on some drill tech, two spots in the front and a spot on each heel.

The traction they provide is considerable. I have ridden icy rocky inclines, declines and the horses seldom slip a foot at all. The snow pads are equally good. They clear snow out of the hoof,, period. Their only drawback is you might have to deal with some thrush when you pull the shoes.

Thanks for the information on the pads, we will look into them. We have ridden past bulls while hauling out elk, that we could have shot, but didn’t have a extra tag.

Good information. I’ve only packed two elk on horses and both times we used panniers that went over a riding saddle. I’m hoping to buy 2-3 horses this summer and use them for hunting in the fall.

Do you use decker or sawbuck pack saddles?

I use a decker with two 25 ft 1/2 inch hemp ropes with a braided loop on one end and braided knob on the loose end. Make sure you get quality half-breeds with them with adequate padding. My first two were surplus from the Forest Service with horse hair filled half breeds. Save your ponies backs. I like the orange fleese saddle pads. They are a little thicker. I try to oil my leather with Ray Holes Saddle butter each winter. There might be other good ones but I've used that since I packed for the government in Hells Canyon in 1975.

I will try to post a couple ways I fetch elk in the next day or two. Maybe the rest of the group will show their methods.

Back