Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Poll! Looking for input.

What's your pick?

• Total voters

teej89

During the move from PA to WA I left the majority of my elk meat to family and neighbors while taking a small portion for myself. That being said we have maybe 20-30# of elk meat and a MT deer tag left over still and I opted out of the WA tag this year due to cost of NR tags.

The last weekend of the season I have Friday-Sunday off, I'm looking at leaving on thanksgiving around 9pm and driving through the night to get away for a weekend deer hunt.

The problem is... where we typically hunt deer in MT is 15hrs from me, or I could give western MT a shot which would only be 8hrs however I know nothing about western MT deer except the general tag is mostly whitetail.

My options are:

1. Go to our usual spot(15hrs) with confidence but only get an evening in Friday, full day Saturday and a very short morning hunt Sunday

2. Go to western MT(9hrs), make time to online scout in the next couple weeks(very busy at the moment) which would give me almost a full day Friday, full day Saturday and a good half day Sunday.

3. Just stay in WA and hunt pheasants/quail.

Man, 30 hours of driving for a weekend hunt seems a little steep. I moved to Colorado last year from South Dakota, I had a hills deer tag, it takes about 9 hours to get back there. I don’t know about you but long drives like that really wear me down. I didn’t feel like I was 100% when I was walking and to be honest I didn’t really enjoy myself as much as I should have. This was for a weekend similar to what you’re describing. I’m not saying I wouldn’t do it again, but 15 hours one way..no thanks. I don’t know shit about bird hunting either, my vote would be the 9 hr drive.

With your limited time, I think you will be hard pressed to find an area that will give you as many opportunities as the one you already know.

Bagging birds is fun too!

I just did it for a deer sized cow. 14 hrs each way. Left Wednesday night drove all night got lucky and was able to drive back Saturday. If you don't do 1, at least try 2. Birds will be open through Jan.

Have you looked in to the Thompson Falls MT area? It may be a worthwhile place that closest to you new local.

Man, 30 hours of driving for a weekend hunt seems a little steep. I moved to Colorado last year from South Dakota, I had a hills deer tag, it takes about 9 hours to get back there. I don’t know about you but long drives like that really wear me down. I didn’t feel like I was 100% when I was walking and to be honest I didn’t really enjoy myself as much as I should have. This was for a weekend similar to what you’re describing. I’m not saying I wouldn’t do it again, but 15 hours one way..no thanks. I don’t know shit about bird hunting either, my vote would be the 9 hr drive.

kind of my thought, even tho I'm confident I'll kill one will I just be too worn/pressured by time to really enjoy the hunt.

On top of all of this I either have to skull cap it or factor in time for boiling the brains out too.

Have you looked in to the Thompson Falls MT area? It may be a worthwhile place that closest to you new local.

I have not, I barely started researching NW MT on deer hunting yet other than knowing its mostly WT for the general tag. Between the move, new job and finding out where to hunt birds here in WA this hunt came last on the list.

Ultimately I'd love to hunt where I can glass, hence wanting to drive the whole way across the state ha!

Do you want to hunt or do you want to fill a tag?

If you want to hunt with the chance to fill a tag you can try a spot in western Montana. If you want to fill a tag you are probably better off going to the place you know fairly well.

Lots of folks from western Montana end up traveling to eastern Montana to fill a deer tag at least they used to.

Do you want to hunt or do you want to fill a tag?

If you want to hunt with the chance to fill a tag you can try a spot in western Montana. If you want to fill a tag you are probably better off going to the place you know fairly well.

Lots of folks from western Montana end up traveling to eastern Montana to fill a deer tag at least they used to.

Kind of what I broke my internal debate down to, do I want to hunt or fill a tag. To me, a hunt ultimately is about the experience and I think driving 15hrs would make things too rush rush. Yeah, I'd probably fill a tag but I'd be checking my watch the entire trip in lieu of relaxing and hunting.

Hours nine through fifteen of that drive you're going to be saying to yourself ..this was a mistake, this was a mistake. Besides, you could buy some dam good steak for the price of 12 hours worth of gas.

When we were younger and stupider we'd leave town at 3am, drive 5 1/2 hours to Mammoth, snowboard until 4pm closing, and drive home that same evening, just because we were too cheap to pay for a hotel room...I think you should crush that drive, shoot a deer on Saturday, and drive home Sunday!

When we were younger and stupider we'd leave town at 3am, drive 5 1/2 hours to Mammoth, snowboard until 4pm closing, and drive home that same evening, just because we were too cheap to pay for a hotel room...I think you should crush that drive, shoot a deer on Saturday, and drive home Sunday!

my brother and I did the same thing to snowboard, we were fueled on monster energy drinks and a giant bag of sour patch kids haha

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back