Polishing brass

A-con

Is OK to throw my brass in a polisher after de-caping ? Or will it loosing up the primer pocket ?

If you decap then clean your brass, you have two things to contend with. First, you foul your sizing die. Second the polishing media will get stuck in the primer hole.

I clean my brass before I size or decap. That protects my die from the grit residue and it also clears the flash hole when I decap. It means a little extra work at the end, but it's worth it in the long run. :cool:

Some people decap then polish and suffer no ill consequences. However, I prefer dan55's method. A quick turn with a primer pocket uniformer, like the one sold by Sinclair, will clean the pocket up real nice after decapping.

Anaconda, I first throw my brass in the tumbler using walnut for about 20 min., Then resize. Then I put the brass back in the tumbler using corn cob for about 1 hour to get all the sizing lube off. It may be a lot more work but this way I keep my dies clean and the brass is free of lube.(they look better than new brass).

Good shooting,

Jude :D

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 08 August 2001 05:13: Message edited by: JudeinPa ]</font>

I tumble mine first to remove any crud and then resize and deprime. On most of my cases I use Hornady spray on One Shot resizing lube, it dries to the touch in about 30 seconds and does not require tumbling after sizing to remove it. If I have to F/L resize, I will usually use the RCBS or Lyman lube pad and tumble after resizing for about 30 mins. to an hour to remove the lube. I also dump rubbing alcohol through my sizing dies occasionally just to cut any lube and grit that may have built up.

Back