Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Polishing brass

A-con

Is OK to throw my brass in a polisher after de-caping ? Or will it loosing up the primer pocket ?

If you decap then clean your brass, you have two things to contend with. First, you foul your sizing die. Second the polishing media will get stuck in the primer hole.

I clean my brass before I size or decap. That protects my die from the grit residue and it also clears the flash hole when I decap. It means a little extra work at the end, but it's worth it in the long run. :cool:

Some people decap then polish and suffer no ill consequences. However, I prefer dan55's method. A quick turn with a primer pocket uniformer, like the one sold by Sinclair, will clean the pocket up real nice after decapping.

Anaconda, I first throw my brass in the tumbler using walnut for about 20 min., Then resize. Then I put the brass back in the tumbler using corn cob for about 1 hour to get all the sizing lube off. It may be a lot more work but this way I keep my dies clean and the brass is free of lube.(they look better than new brass).

Good shooting,

Jude :D

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 08 August 2001 05:13: Message edited by: JudeinPa ]</font>

I tumble mine first to remove any crud and then resize and deprime. On most of my cases I use Hornady spray on One Shot resizing lube, it dries to the touch in about 30 seconds and does not require tumbling after sizing to remove it. If I have to F/L resize, I will usually use the RCBS or Lyman lube pad and tumble after resizing for about 30 mins. to an hour to remove the lube. I also dump rubbing alcohol through my sizing dies occasionally just to cut any lube and grit that may have built up.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hardan9
Back