PEAX Equipment

Poking the bear so to speak (red dots)

Marshian

In the firearm section, there is a lively thread about 10mm for bear protection. Coincidentally, I carry a 10mm (Glock 20) for bears but was never good shot with the original iron sights. A friend gave me a red dot for my 22 pistol and my accuracy and acquisition time improved dramatically. So a few days ago, I bought a reflex red dot (Vortex Viler) and an aftermarket mounting plate and shot it for the first time yesterday. The result again were impressive to me and profoundly better than before. Plus, the gun and sight still fit in my holster. Anyone else have red dots on their bear protection gun? I know people will argue back that it’s one or thing to fail, but I’ve read the more LEOs are using them and their reliability is actually excellent. And in the end, I can hit what I’m aiming at much better and faster and it’s more fun to practice now.

Honestly, If I pull my pistol on a Bear it's going to be real close and I doubt which sights I have on the gun will make much difference.

I’ve a couple of DLP shootings; sights are important and I’ve really liked the Leupold Delta points quite well. One of the Delta points is on my 45/70, been there for 11/12 years. In and out of boats and float planes. Banged rattled vibrated soaked submerged stepped on slimed by salmon and pissed on by guys who can’t get it over the side. Zero adjusted on day one, new battery every spring, it works every time.
Have not put one on the454 but do have one on the 10mm.

This guy was 12 feet away, one of my young guides had a 10mm; I had a rifle and spray. Spray worked just fine, probably a500 pound 8 footer. Youngster thought the 10 felt awful small.😁

Attachments

• E4366564-AC4E-47FE-AE8D-191A82B088F9.jpeg
    E4366564-AC4E-47FE-AE8D-191A82B088F9.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 23
I hunt with red dots a good bit. But prefer a tube style.
The open style collect dirt and snow and become useless.
If the gun was only for defense I’d stick to irons.

Attachments

• 7BCD684D-2B34-4CDB-9445-7FC9EE435BFB.jpeg
    7BCD684D-2B34-4CDB-9445-7FC9EE435BFB.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 5
My limited experience with reflex sites left me with concerns about sun glare from certain angles. Granted, that was a cheap reflex, and better ones may have better anti reflective coatings

My limited experience with reflex sites left me with concerns about sun glare from certain angles. Granted, that was a cheap reflex, and better ones may have better anti reflective coatings
Even the higher end open style ones do that when looking somewhat towards the sun

I'm a bit of a hypocrite here. My .44 magnum revolver has a full 2X Leupold scope on it. I got the scope for target and hunting, but for defense, I would rather use irons. I'm not a fan of stuff sitting so high on top of a defensive handgun, so red dots are a no-no for my personal carry guns.

Back