Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Podcast 10

Oneye

Great episode Randy keep up the good work, I've been waiting for an episode fully based around the public land issue.

Elliot state forest

Hey Randy I loved this episode as I was listening I was thinking about how the Elliot state forest (which I live and hour from) was a great example of what you were talking about. Then you talked about the Elliot. But anyways you might already know this but Oregon has put the Elliot back up for sale!!! Anyways love your stuff keep it up!

I loved the podcast as well (just like all of them). I feel like you have more to say on the subject and it could be more podcasts in the future. Any such plans in the making?

Thanks Randy. Next time have Dan let you talk till you're hoarse. I know there is far more that can be said about these issues and you have created an outstanding platform. These issues effect far more than just western state residents.

You jeep taling about public lands and how we need to fight for thembut never mention any organazations that do fight for us atleast on some level? Btw i love your podcasts. Im an old fart (29) going back to college for wildlife and fisheries!

You jeep taling about public lands and how we need to fight for thembut never mention any organazations that do fight for us atleast on some level? Btw i love your podcasts. Im an old fart (29) going back to college for wildlife and fisheries!

Look into the work Backcountry Hunters and Anglers and also RMEF have been doing recently.

I really enjoyed listening to this podcast. I first became aware of this issue when reading details of Romney's platform in the last election. It's been a concern of mine since, and you have done a better job than anyone I've run across at describing the potential consequences. I understand the sentiment that things can typically be managed better when done so at the lowest possible level. It makes for a good sound bite to suggest the state would do a better job of managing for us. In this case understanding that the interest of the state may not be to retain the land in a relatively pristine manner and open to all citizens is critical. Getting these lands was a unique feat, anything that weakens their standing, making those responsible more able to succumb to the potential windfall they offer is a very risky business.

One question I did have while listening was whether a transfer/sale to a state necessarily has to go to the states trust fund? Could it go to the state and be managed by the parks and wildlife agency and thus remain open to the public? I do want to better understand all the possibilities of how a transfer could be handled and the incentives that result.

With an election on the horizon, now would be the time to influence the candidates as they develop their platforms. I have been thinking about preparing a white paper that addresses the issue of our National Forests. Something I could send to state and national level parties and individual candidates. Any references you have on the history, current management, current challenges, potential state management plans, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Keep up the good work!

Last edited:
One question I did have while listening was whether a transfer/sale to a state necessarily has to go to the states trust fund? Could it go to the state and be managed by the parks and wildlife agency and thus remain open to the public? I do want to better understand all the possibilities of how a transfer could be handled and the incentives that result.

That is not what is being proposed by any of these groups wanting the states to take over. And, there is no way the state wildlife agencies could handle the costs and burden of fire fighting, road maintenance, weed control, monitoring of commercial activities, etc.

Thanks for listening and thanks for posting.

Thanks. All I had read was "transfer to the state..." And that is where the details ended. The devil is in the details. Clearly a state agency would have to alter the resource structure, possibly to include users fees or Federal funding in order to mange the land. I'm not suggesting that is the way to go. I just want to better understand the possibilities in order to make the best case for keeping the land available to all citizens.

When I heard this podcast it makes me think of Agenda 21, the public land issues follows right along with this doctrine. I am always moved on these public land podcast and I feel very strongly about the issue when it come to our access rights, where I get hung up is not knowing the steps to take to be able to make a difference instead of just being a by stander, I want to be involved but how does an average joe go about doing so? Thanks Randy for all that you do for the hunting, fishing and outdoor recreational community, hope everyone is having a great season!

Back