Poaching on the big screen

2rocky

With the spate of hunting show hosts with violations I though that this might be another log on the fire.. This time a film crew shooting an independant film is at the center of the controversy

http://gothamist.com/2012/04/17/hipsters_illegally_killed_upstate_d.php

One of the features to be shown during this year's Tribeca Film Festival is First Winter, which is also known as the fest's "hipster apocalypse movie" because it features Brooklyn hipsters stranded in a remote country farmhouse. Now, as the festival draws near, it turns out that the film crew didn't have a license to shoot and kill two deer! And the hipster film crew killed the deer outside of deer hunting season!

The crew was practicing yoga inside the farm's main house one day when someone spotted a herd of deer in the neighboring field. They grabbed a rifle and camera and ran outside, Dickson said.

Actor Paul Manza, a 34-year-old Brooklyn yoga instructor who plays "Paul" the yoga instructor in the film and had no prior acting or hunting experience, pulled the trigger. It was unclear who owned the rifle or whether it was registered.

What is the film about?

When winter begins, life is serene for a group of new-age Brooklynites living in a remote country farmhouse. Sex, drugs, yoga, and organic cooking absorb their days, safely tucked away from the stresses of urban life. But when a blackout of apocalyptic proportions strands them with no heat and no electricity during the coldest winter on record, their utopian commune is breached by anxiety and their idyllic harmony begins to lose its tune. As time wears on and the food supply dwindles, power struggles, jealousy, and desire threaten the group's ability to work together in order to survive.

Wow, that is some interesting reading. The comments below the article are even better. One of my favorites.

They're doing the ecosystem a favor by killing the deer. Although it would be more ethical to use the meat, it's also ethical at this point to just kill the deer even if it's only used for the film.

I don't think many folks, hunters or even bunny humpers would agree with that one.

Last edited:
“We are idiots. We didn’t know how to do this stuff,” DNAinfo quoted Dickinson as saying. “There were so many deer weak from the winter and getting eaten by the local dogs we didn’t even think about it.”

The crew was reportedly practicing yoga together on set when someone spotted a herd of deer in a neighboring field, DNAinfo reported. One of the stars of the film, Paul Manza, 34, grabbed a rifle and pulled the trigger.

According to DNAinfo, the bullet hit two deer, killing one and wounding the other. The crew eventually shot the second deer to put it out of its misery. The group then skinned one of the deer, cut it up and cooked it in front of the camera.

“"It was amazing to eat that meat and really feel the spirit of the animal," Manza said. "It gave me a different relationship to eating animals and animal products."

A spokeswoman for the state’s environmental agency said they are investigating the incident and that penalties for hunting without a permit range from a $2,000 fine to imprisonment.

From the fox news article... Emphasis added by me. What a bunch of idiots. They poached two and wasted one.