Caribou Gear

Poachers are caught

elkfarmer

I was talking to one of our police officers this morning and he told me they found 19 deer, dead and caped out in various fields where i live. well i guess they caught them, they were kids having a contest. another guy that i went to school with got caught last night jacking a deer. I hope it cost all of them big when it is said and done.

I hope they throw the book at them. Here is one that they had out in N.D. And one of them was the principal at a nearby school.

Dec 21, 2004 7:59 am US/Central
Valley City, N.D. (AP) Seven more deer hunters, including the principal of Wahpeton High School, have been charged in a mushrooming poaching case that is believed to be
one of North Dakota's largest.

Hy Schlieve, who has been Wahpeton's principal for two years, was charged in Barnes County with illegal possession of big game and conspiracy to take big game, Barnes
County officials said.

Schlieve declined comment late Monday, saying he was not aware of the charges.

Last month, a father and son, Darrell Hansen of Sanborn and Jeremy Hansen of Spiritwood, were charged with 30 counts each of illegal possession of big game. Authorities
said 30 untagged deer carcasses were found in a shop on Jeremy Hansen's farm near Valley City.

Darrell Hansen is Schlieve's father-in-law, and Jeremy Hansen is his brother-in-law, Schlieve said. One of the seven men charged Monday, Steven Roemmich of Spiritwood, is
also Schlieve's brother-in-law, Schlieve said.

The deer discovered on Jeremy Hansen's farm were found after authorities received a tip on the state's "Report All Poachers," line. People who call the line are offered a
reward if the tip leads to a conviction, Game and Fish Department warden supervisor Bob Timian said.

Ninety percent of the calls are from people who do not want a reward, Timian said.

"They want to call in just to give the information," Timian said. "The RAP line has been working quite well."

The state Game and Fish Department offered a record 145,250 deer gun licenses for the season. A string of mild winters has lowered deer mortality rates and increased the
population.

Timian would not talk about the specifics of the suspects in the poaching case, except to say, "I don't know what they were thinking."

Along with Schlieve and Roemmich, five other men were charged with poaching violations Monday, Barnes County officials said. Among them was Brian Betterman of Ramsey,
Minn., who was charged with illegal possession of big game.

Back