Poacher caught

Not to completely change the subject but are any of us even surprised anymore with how little most of these guys are punished?? When you look at how penalties are handed out in this country and how often violent offenders get off with such lenient punishments is it any wonder that poachers get off so easy when in actuality no one person is being harmed? I mean there are crimes where people are actually being harmed and aren’t getting punishment so how can we expect that a poaching case be taken anymore seriously. Now im
Not saying these guys shouldn’t be punished a lot more but it’s hard to expect that from our justice system when more serious crimes aren’t even prosecuted the same way.

You're not changing the subject at all. I am surprised he wasn't hit with trophy fee fines tho. If this is his first criminal conviction then he got hammered hard. You cant punish someone extrajudicially nor should we. I imagine he's persona non grata around town.

The punishments are handed down by judges and prosecutors. Feel free to contact those around you and let them know how important wildlife crime is to you and would like to see stiffer punishments
I get what ur saying For a lot of us we are nowhere near the areas this is happening in and don’t even find out til after the punishments been handed down. And these judges and prosecutors aren’t local to our districts. But it’s not just wildlife crimes. My point was more towards how can we expect these guys to have harsh punishments when even more serious crimes are committed and not punished harshly. But like I said in my first post that’s just opening a rabbit hole for this thread to get derailed quickly.

but it would be nice to see a couple of these guys be made an example of. It would probably make most of us sick if we knew how many of these guys get away with this kind of thing and noone ever even has an idea.

For his crimes, Allen was ordered to pay $1825 in fines, restitution, processing fees and court costs and provide 100 hours of community service. His hunting and trapping licenses were both revoked by the court for a period of 9 and 15 years, respectively. While revoked, Allen may not accompany any others into the field who are engaged in hunting or trapping activities.

Da'yum. I'd say justice has been served. No priors? Seems to me if there'd a been priors he'd be doing some serious time. Locals?
Horse shit...he sold pelts for $1000 apiece and was fined $1825??? What is the license revoked matter? He does what he wants anyways. When it comes to hunting the guy is a piece of shit. That's a quote from a local.

His monetary penalties definitely leave much to be desired. As a minimum I don't understand how he can be fined less than the value of the pelts he sold.

In terms of license loss. 9 and 15 years sounds pretty good. He has a 5 year old son who he won't be able to take hunting for his first couple years. I know, I can already hear the rebuttals "Good, now he can't teach his son how to poach" or "He was breaking the law before so he'll just keep on doing it". In the case of the latter I don't think anyone who doesn't know him personally could legitimately make that assumption. In the former case, it is a safer assumption that had he not been caught he would have continued and taught the same casual disregard for law and ethics to his son. Now there is a better chance that he will correct his actions and teach his son a strict adherence to hunting/trapping regulations.

I don't know the guy personally but I can allow for redemption and for people to learn from their mistakes. If this had been me, I know for certain that the loss of money and time wouldn't hurt nearly as bad as the hunting ban. Which for those of you who don't know and couldn't be bothered to check before piling on, Idaho is part of the "Interstate Wildlife Violators Compact" which currently has 45 member States with 4 in the process of joining which will leave Hawaii as the only nonmember State.

I think most of the vitriol on this thread should be directed at prosecutors and judges who allow as much leniency as they do in these cases. The laws on the books clearly allow for greater punishments but the prosecutors and courts routinely give lenient sentences.

I'm not offering a personal opinion here on the scale of the punishment but one thing everyone needs to remember with any news article is that the author has the ability to use words and statistics easily to express a point.

I remember a few years ago of a case where a person got caught doing something illegal, he got a minor fine and all the articles wrote told the story of this horrible person that needed his life ruined by this. Later I found out from a friend that actually knew the guy that most of what was wrote was BS and his illegal action was actually an honest mistake and the trouble came because he chose to hide it and not report it.

Not saying that's the case here, just that often the punishment is generally not far off.

I'm not offering a personal opinion here on the scale of the punishment but one thing everyone needs to remember with any news article is that the author has the ability to use words and statistics easily to express a point.

I remember a few years ago of a case where a person got caught doing something illegal, he got a minor fine and all the articles wrote told the story of this horrible person that needed his life ruined by this. Later I found out from a friend that actually knew the guy that most of what was wrote was BS and his illegal action was actually an honest mistake and the trouble came because he chose to hide it and not report it.

Not saying that's the case here, just that often the punishment is generally not far off.

Nope... This guy knew exactly what he was doing and he has no respect for others. I'm sure someone thinks he is a great guy that got the raw end, but I don't. And more often than not, the punishment is not even close to enough. IMO...

I hear ya on the quick to judgment aspect. And I don't know what kind of person this guy is. All I'm saying is, well, revoking his licenses seems a pretty weak punishment to me. From the article, in addition to illegally trapping numerous bobcats, he took mule deer in at least three illegal ways:

"These deer had been killed by Allen after legal hours, in closed seasons and using another’s deer tag after already killing a deer and using his own."

Doesn't matter to me if he's otherwise the nicest guy in the world. That amount of blatant disregard for game laws hurts the state, hurts other hunters (he's illegally removing opportunities from them), and hurts our reputations as hunters. And for that amount of violations, I just would have expected a little more.

I like the idea of having to repay the State for the cost of the investigation.

I agree... Some crimes of this nature never get the full extent of an investigation due to the cost. There are processes that can speed up the investigation, or that can make it a solid case, that get ignored due to the cost. Officers need to rely on old school techniques, long hours, and verbal statements to make the case. Re-cooping the cost would help a lot, if it ever gets paid.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back