PEAX Equipment

Plug for www.huntingGPSmaps.com

What really interest me is the old points of interest for treasure hunting. It gives locations of old historical schools,post offices,towns and mines etc. that don't exist or at least there are no visible structures.
Invaluable tool for hunting and recreating !

I've been using some free software and have had it work pretty well for me when looking at ownership but I'm not sure it's as accurate.

I'm interested in seeing a side-by-side comparison between the HuntingGPSMaps and the free stuff. Anybody ever do that yet?

Hunting maps didn't invent the data on this chip. They just combined topo and ownership maps on one file that works with garmin software. (Easier said then done) BTW I love mine.

I have MT and WY and have used them constantly for three years. I also used my GPS in the Park, always. I have found numerous public places to hunt and fish because of my maps.

P.S.
I found a place in NM that was evidently a mining claim that did not show up on the chip I had.

How do they deal with that?

It's really an awesome product. The value has definitely gone down (price increase, reduced flexibility) as they have become more popular. Doesn't mean I'll be replacing my downloads any time soon.

P.S.
I found a place in NM that was evidently a mining claim that did not show up on the chip I had.

How do they deal with that?
I found a spot in WY this fall where the FS map and the GPS were different. The map showed an extra 40 acre piece of public. I also found a place in CO with mining claims, and not all were shown on HGPSMaps. I'm sure there will be spots like that here and there. You should always double check yourself with a map.

yes,updates are avail but cost a little to do,,,every once in a while you could run into mining claims and such,but so far im really pleased with mine,,,got 5 different state chips so far and they are spot on but i always have a blm or forest service map to double check things out.

I purchased the download versus the chip. Have they changed the chip to work with computers?

I actually returned the chip in favor of the download. The download allows of 3 computers to be loaded with the product. From the computer you load it onto your GPS. In my opinion, the ability to view and edit a full screen picture of the areas you hunt is awesome for planning.

When I purchased the GPS hunting program, the chip did not allow this.

Very nice! That is a great adjustment from earlier. I'll keep that in mind if I venture elsewhere. Thanks mtlion.

Randy,

Thank you for the help in promoting and introducing our product to your community. It is very much appreciated.

As a small and growing company we have had to modify several options as we have grown and found better ways to do things.

The nice thing now is that there is no difference between the download or chip versions except the ability to print from BaseCamp (something we are working with Garmin on) Both versions can be viewed on your GPS and your computer. We have been working closely with Garmin and are very thankful to them for allowing us to access some of their coding to make this possible. The download can be viewed on unlimited computers and on one GPS unit to start, additional unlock codes can be bought at discount if you have multiple units. The chip can be viewed on any computer you plug it into and also on any Garmin GPS you plug it into.

With the initial purchase customers receive free updates from Dec. 1st - through Nov. 30th. This way any time you buy the map you will be sure to have the most current version for hunting season. We will not likely update maps between November and March so that is why we stop at Nov. 30th so that all Christmas and Holiday purchases will get free updates for the next hunting season. It costs us money to repurchase the landowner info and remake the map each year so we do charge a small update fee of $30 dollars if you want to update the map after your free period is over. This is the only way we can afford to update our maps each year.

In response to RatFink and the assumption that we are using data that is readily available to the public he is right and wrong. We do use some data from federal sources such as the Forest Service and BLM. In MT for example the state has also organized a great Cadastral Data system that makes it easy for us to get the private land information as well. So that is why RatFink can make some of his own maps for MT in 20 minutes. I'm not sure if he realizes all of the other states we make though.

Now take Colorado for example. There is no centrally organized place for this landowner data. We have to contact each individual county to get this data and then organize it into a form that we can use. As a for-profit company this data is also not free to us. On average we spend about 500 man hours when we decide to make a new state map and we spend thousands upon thousands of dollars to acquire the data to make one state. It would truly shock you if you knew the actually costs that some of these counties charge for this public data. From my perspective I would easily pay a thousand dollars for a map like this based on my knowledge of what it costs, how much time it takes to make, and the value I have realized in the field while hunting. So we are extremely confident that we are proving a great product at a great price to our customers.

As we have evolved we have also found numerous errors in the free data provided by the Forest Service and BLM when we cross reference with data from the counties. So we are also doing a service to the Forest Service and BLM by helping them update their data sets more often then they would on their own. It has definitely been an experience and with any data set their can be errors or items left out.

We love what we do and love that we have helped so many customers enjoy their time afield with confidence.

If you have any questions please feel free to fire away. I will be here to help you out.

Thanks,
Matt Seidel
Head of Marketing

We use the product every time we go out the proof is below from this week in MT.

Find Field with 10 thousand geese.
Geese_zps82236232.jpg

Immediately know who the landowner is and go to his house.
GeeseFlying_zps8cd1e676.jpg

Get permission and have a very happy dog!
Axel_zps10300386.jpg

Here is Rob Hart our VP and I after a beautiful morning in Montana.
RobandMatt_zps7eaf347f.jpg

I just checked out the videos and I think I saw Miller's property. Those look pretty cool. I'll definitely have to check them out. They have free android apps for a lot of the western states too.

I searched for "Hunting GPS Maps" in the Google Play store and didn't come up with their product.:confused:

Search for "Hunt MT" for example, just change the state to which one you want when you search. Right now we only have Game Management Units on the map, we are very actively working on adding other layers right now with our development team. We are trying to have a fully functional map by this spring but we want to make sure we do it right. Dealing with all the types of phones, coding, and other technical stuff has definitely been an experience.

Matt

What if my computer crashes?

Hey Matt,

I've been a huge proponent of your products on this site in the last year. I've used them in Wyoming to identify a couple "honey holes" that have churned out some real nice antelope and mule deer.

With that said, I bought the download and my computer crashed earlier this summer and everything is lost! I have the info uploaded onto my 2 garmin GPS units, but the computer download is gone! If I can show the e-mail receipt of that purchase with the download codes, etc. is there a way to get a new dowload that coincides with the two GPS units I currently use? Possibly with paying the $30 charge for the update?

I just wanted to check. Thanks for making an excellent product!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back