Please Remove Post

brewdaag

Native of eastern WA, now living in western WA. L
These are like new Leica Trinovid 10x42 HD’s. I purchased them on 11-13-22 (see receipt) while on a mule deer hunt, due to the fact that my Vortex Razor HD’s failed during the hunt. I used them until the 19th, so not even a week. Since the Vortex have a lifetime warranty, I’ll get them fixed, and now need to unload these Leica’s. I was impressed with them for the 5 days that I used them. The clarity was fantastic and the functionality was better than my Razor’s (in my opinion). They come with all original packaging, strap, caps, etc. They have not bee registered, So the warranty is yours. Per attached photo of receipt, I paid $999.00. Selling for $900 OBO. Feel free to reach out with any questions.

Attachments

• 2B33F567-063B-418D-82A1-FE2AA87DC1AE.jpeg
    2B33F567-063B-418D-82A1-FE2AA87DC1AE.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
  • 12A3A1B5-D4F0-4D32-8833-9E3E6927C20E.jpeg
    12A3A1B5-D4F0-4D32-8833-9E3E6927C20E.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
  • E0E701B6-EE83-4EF3-9C44-558B18AB8A08.jpeg
    E0E701B6-EE83-4EF3-9C44-558B18AB8A08.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 24
  • 863DF7CA-C09B-4BCB-BE75-2CB96B3E80CF.jpeg
    863DF7CA-C09B-4BCB-BE75-2CB96B3E80CF.jpeg
    759.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 231DDAE7-955B-4CD0-B0EA-B9D8D78EEEA8.jpeg
    231DDAE7-955B-4CD0-B0EA-B9D8D78EEEA8.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 27
Purely curiosity, but why would you use the warranty on Vortex instead of keeping the Leicas? mtmuley
Good question.I actually thought about keeping the Leicas and selling the Razors once they are fixed. However, the Vortex no fault lifetime warranty is better than Leica’s, so that is what made the difference for me.

Leica doesn’t need a lifetime warranty, vortex does because they are crap.
Haha, they might be, but that seems like a bad business model. Sell crap products that you’ll get back for the rest of time due to a lifetime no fault warranty. I’ve compared my vortex to other mid-high end binos, the glass and light pick up was comparable, even in low light. I’ve been pretty happy with them, except for the fact that I had to send them AND my spotting scope in for repairs this year. So maybe you’re right.

Haha, they might be, but that seems like a bad business model. Sell crap products that you’ll get back for the rest of time due to a lifetime no fault warranty. I’ve compared my vortex to other mid-high end binos, the glass and light pick up was comparable, even in low light. I’ve been pretty happy with them, except for the fact that I had to send them AND my spotting scope in for repairs this year. So maybe you’re right.
Stanley tools have a lifetime warranty too. People just get tired of crap and don’t flex the lifetime part.

No way I would try and fix my car with Stanley while I have Snap On in my other hand.

Last edited:
Crap quality products with desirable features + a huge marketing budget works to get people to try their products. Then those people swear them off after they fail. Not sure how that will work out for them long term.

They might as well change their slogan to “best warranty in the industry, and you’re gonna need it”.

So you had to send in binos and a spotting scope? What was the issues with them?
Also they can “afford” to give you a new pair because it costs them very little to make them and the markup is huge.

But Leica will replace for 10 years, even if you break it, and guarantee optics for 30 years.

So that's $33/year, and even after 30 bet they or someone else will fix them.

I recently had some Leitz (now Leica) 7x35Bs rebuilt for a couple of hundred bucks and they were made in West Germany in the 60s.

I have a pair of Leica binoculars that are coming forty years old. My only regret is my decision to get them in 7x35. They are still very bright, crisp and clear. They've never needed any service from Leica.

It is hard to find a Vortex owner that has not used their warranty.

So you had to send in binos and a spotting scope? What was the issues with them?
Also they can “afford” to give you a new pair because it costs them very little to make them and the markup is huge.
The focus knob on the binos broke and just would keep turning with no stopping point and wouldn’t focus. On the spotter, the eyepiece was falling out, which was super frustrating to use on the hunt. You may be right about the Leica’s. Maybe I’ll keep them…🤔

But Leica will replace for 10 years, even if you break it, and guarantee optics for 30 years.

So that's $33/year, and even after 30 bet they or someone else will fix them.

I recently had some Leitz (now Leica) 7x35Bs rebuilt for a couple of hundred bucks and they were made in West Germany in the 60s.
This is interesting. I did not know that detail about the Leica warranty. All of you may have convinced me to keep the Leica’s….😂

This is interesting. I did not know that detail about the Leica warranty. All of you may have convinced me to keep the Leica’s….😂
Had no idea Leica’s warranty was so good. This was the main difference that had me wanting to keep the Vortex. Now, it seems like a non issue. Interestingly, I can’t get any bites on the Leica’s at $900. Vortex just sent me a brand new pair for Razor HD’s (mine were unfixable). I’ll be curious if I get more bites on them for the same price. See Leica’s warranty below.

10 Year Passport Protection Plan​

For a period of 10 years we will repair or replace your Leica Sport Optic product purchased from an Authorized USA and Canadian dealer in the event it becomes damaged or defective, at no charge to you. If we cannot repair your product, we will replace it with a product in perfect working order of equal or better physical condition. It doesn’t matter how it happened, whose fault it was, or where you purchased it in the USA or Canada.
Please note that our Passport Protection Plan excludes coverage for intentional damage, misuse, cosmetic damage that does not affect the performance of the optic, fire, loss, theft, or unauthorized repair or modification.

This Passport Protection Plan is void, if damage is caused by the use of accessories not sold or authorized by Leica Camera Inc. or from service by persons not authorized by Leica Camera Inc. It will be at Leica Camera Inc.’s sole discretion to extend service under this Warranty for damage arising from the above-mentioned conditions.

VIP Warranty = Very Inferior Products Warranty

Or better yet, Very Insubstantial Products

They should hire me for their marketing!

Last edited:
Vortex has an absolutely impressive marketing department, and had a stroke of luck with their meateater arrangement right as it really took off. Every new-ish hunter I know either has, or had one until they realized that they mostly suck. Literally yesterday a good friend was spec'ing a rifle for his kids, and was like, "I guess I need to budget for a scope too, what do you think about this Vortex ?".

Ok. So a lot of you have chimed in on your dislike for Vortex. I appreciate all the feedback. I think you’ve convinced me to keep the Leica binos. Out of curiousity, what is it that you guys think makes them inferior? Is it the build quality or glass quality. Honestly, I haven’t noticed a huge difference between them and other binos that are similarly priced when comparing the glass. I’ve had mine for quite a few years (probably 7-8 years) and this was the second time I’ve had to send them in. So, I can understand complaints about their build quality, especially since I also had to send my 6 year old spotter in this year too. Have you all noticed big differences in the glass as well? I hunt mostly in Eastern WA, WY, and Eastern MT. It’s all big wide open country so I’ve spent a lot of time behind them. I’d be curious your thoughts on how you formed your opinions.
Thanks everyone for the input.

Back