Plate ‘em up

gadwall breasts, aged 5 days
had a hankering for a Korean version, so seasoned breasts with "Kimchi Kick" and sauteed in butter skin down first - gave it a bit of a "blackened" variation
served with local made kimchi and rice (pan drippings and a little extra butter on that rice - the Northern Wisconsin boy in me)

good eats, real good - but then I really like duck
864BEC68-67BD-43A2-8FE0-8D3E43DB28AC.jpeg

9B53BE9F-C2F0-4108-BA1D-35D7AD94287D.jpeg

so the posts of various Wellingtons got my craving going as I have never had one

That looks awesome WoodMoose, the recent posts have me wanting to try it too.

I’ve always heard that Wellingtons are difficult to prepare, but everyone on here seems to nail them perfectly- was it tricky or not too bad?

Had the same exact meal Friday. I used a paper plate.

What breading/batter do you like best? I used Andy’s Yellow with a few generous shakes of Tony C’s, turned out great.

I also made up a few blue wing teal fingers while I had the fryer out- these turned out well but I could have taken them out 30 seconds sooner. I will give Andy’s Cajun a try next time I do duck, woodcock/grouse etc, will probably stick with the yellow for fish.

65A0401A-F99B-4D59-991C-2A73C531C818.jpeg

Last edited:
What breading/batter do you like best? I used Andy’s Yellow with a few generous shakes of Tony C’s, turned out great.

I also made up a few blue wing teal fingers while I had the fryer out- these turned out great but I could have taken them out 30 seconds sooner. I will give Andy’s Cajun a try next time I do duck, woodcock/grouse etc, will probably stick with the yellow for fish.

View attachment 260937
I used to use 1/2 original shore lunch and 1/2 Cajun shore lunch with some garlic salt and Riley’s seasoning.

Now, Ive had to change my fish batter to be gluten free. So I use 1/2 bobs red mill flour, 1/2 cornstarch, 1 teaspoon of baking powder, pinch of sugar, garlic salt, cayenne pepper, black pepper, onion powder.

I also made up a few blue wing teal fingers while I had the fryer out- these turned out well but I could have taken them out 30 seconds sooner. I will give Andy’s Cajun a try next time I do duck, woodcock/grouse etc, will probably stick with the yellow for fish.

View attachment 260937
I use a 50/50 mix of Andy's Yellow and Cajun. Cuts the heat of straight Cajun so the fish comes through.

I’ve always heard that Wellingtons are difficult to prepare, but everyone on here seems to nail them perfectly- was it tricky or not too bad?

my Wife made it for me, but from her talk it wasn't super hard - she used the mushroom sauce as the "glue" for the pastry, browned the meat, spread the mushroom sauce on the pastry, wrap and cook in oven for 45 minutes (till pastry golden brown) - I'd have to ask on temperature but expect same for most Wellington recipes

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back