PEAX Equipment

Plastic Stock Stiffening

OhHeyThereBen

Anyone have a go-to filler for doing this? I'm not in the position at this point to put a new stock on my new Savage 12fv, but would like to stiffen up the stock a bit. It's actually really nice for a plastic stock but does bend a bit.

I got the recoil lug bedded in using JB weld, but it could get a bit expensive to fill the whole forearm with it. Has anyone used a steel/aluminum rod in the front of their stocks? What do you typically use for a forearm bedding compound?

Anyone have a go-to filler for doing this? I'm not in the position at this point to put a new stock on my new Savage 12fv, but would like to stiffen up the stock a bit. It's actually really nice for a plastic stock but does bend a bit.

I got the recoil lug bedded in using JB weld, but it could get a bit expensive to fill the whole forearm with it. Has anyone used a steel/aluminum rod in the front of their stocks? What do you typically use for a forearm bedding compound?

Carbon arrow shaft and jb weld.

I feel ya, the stock on those rifles are junk(I have one). Have you looked at Boyds stocks? They're a little over $100.

I just don't normally get plastic stocks but got a 700 as a gift years ago. Junk! Ended up opening the whole bedding system and re doing it with JB Weld. Have read about guy's using a push rod from a car motor to stiffen the barrel channel. On mine I simply opened up the barrel channel quite a bit and floated the barrel. Shot great after that. Barrel is floated from the front of the action out.

Bell and Carlson Medalist w/aluminum bedding block. ;)

I really like B&Cs - I have 3 tikkas in them, but I think OP is trying to stick to a budget at the moment and save the $400 upgrade later. A stiff carbon arrow for $10, $25 of epoxy and a $6 can of spray paint and a tupperware stock can turn out pretty nice. I did a savage for my son that looks, shoots and feels 90% as good as my B&Cs do for 10% of the cost.

There are a number of ways to stiffen the forestock.
Option one is to order the Stock Stabilizer from Nathan Forester (www.ballisticstudies.com).

On my Savage 111 in 7mm Rem Mag i cut a carbon arrow lengthwise, cut 2 channels into the stock and epoxyed them in.

On my Stevens 20p in 7mm-08AI, i used lightweight body filler.

Of the 2 i tried the body filler worked best.

I really like B&Cs - I have 3 tikkas in them, but I think OP is trying to stick to a budget at the moment and save the $400 upgrade later. A stiff carbon arrow for $10, $25 of epoxy and a $6 can of spray paint and a tupperware stock can turn out pretty nice. I did a savage for my son that looks, shoots and feels 90% as good as my B&Cs do for 10% of the cost.

Couldn’t agree more!

Alright. What I ended up going with is a steel rod that I got from Menards and JB Weld. It stabilized it quite a lot for future bipod use but I'll still need to add a bit more on the sides I think in order to stop twisting. That or maybe sand the barrel channel out a bit. We'll see what happens.

Really, the 12FV stocks aren't garbage. They are a step above the majority of plastic stocks that I've seen. I did the old vet tape wrap to adjust the comb height. Now I just need to get on the reloading aspect of things so I can actually shoot the thing.

Now the thing is even more front heavy than when I started. Anyone have something that they typically use for a buttstock filler to add weight?

Just going to add to this in case anyone's looking at the Savage 12FV stock: The one I have is actually bedded with what seems to be steel pillars. Yeah, it's a bit flimsy, but I imagine that it'll be entire adequate; especially with a few hours and dollars put into it.

There are a number of ways to stiffen the forestock.
Option one is to order the Stock Stabilizer from Nathan Forester (www.ballisticstudies.com).

On my Savage 111 in 7mm Rem Mag i cut a carbon arrow lengthwise, cut 2 channels into the stock and epoxyed them in.

On my Stevens 20p in 7mm-08AI, i used lightweight body filler.

Of the 2 i tried the body filler worked best.
So did you use an arrow with the body filler?

So did you use an arrow with the body filler?
Regular body filler will crack, the stuff with fiberglass (duraglass) in it is a lot more durable. Both versions need sealed up or they'll soak up water and solvent and, you guessed it, crack. Make sure you sand the stock real good and clean it with solvent to give the best chance of adhesion. Adhesion promoter isn't a bad idea either.

Regular body filler will crack, the stuff with fiberglass (duraglass) in it is a lot more durable. Both versions need sealed up or they'll soak up water and solvent and, you guessed it, crack. Make sure you sand the stock real good and clean it with solvent to give the best chance of adhesion. Adhesion promoter isn't a bad idea either.
I got the filler with glass- it’s for a Ruger American. I guess epoxy or silicone will be the best to seal it with?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back