Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Plant identification

Poison Hemlock can look a lot like parsley when it’s young. I’m not sure about how it smells though.

My best educated guess is Sweetcicely (Osmorhiza berteroi), aka sweetroot. Not impossible it's another species but IME berteroi is the most common.

Reactions: Oak
What's the site like? Guessing shaded conifer understory based on the litter and my guess of species.

@Mthuntr ask your plant nerd friends ha
It blanketed a large area in a stand of pines. North facing slope, about 40yds from lake's edge.
What county was it in? What was the turf like?
Ruby Mtns. Elko county. The pine duff in that area is fairly deep, followed by loose soil, clay, and granite.

Poison Hemlock can look a lot like parsley when it’s young. I’m not sure about how it smells though.
I remember a hiking group getting poisoned making that mistake a long time ago. I think more than one died.

I agree it's in the carrot family, and I'm getting less confident in my guess, but I'm still gonna respectfully disagree w/ water parsley due to the elevation and landscape position. Water parsley prefers saturated soils and lower elevation; in the NRCS database it's a wetland obligate (OBL). plants.usda.gov database doesn't have it in NV either for what it's worth, and at least in California observations peak at about 5500-6000'.

1625686395433.png

Hate to be the guy who doesn't agree and also doesn't have a better guess but here we are. :)

I agree it's in the carrot family, and I'm getting less confident in my guess, but I'm still gonna respectfully disagree w/ water parsley due to the elevation and landscape position. Water parsley prefers saturated soils and lower elevation; in the NRCS database it's a wetland obligate (OBL). plants.usda.gov database doesn't have it in NV either for what it's worth, and at least in California observations peak at about 5500-6000'.

View attachment 187643

Hate to be the guy who doesn't agree and also doesn't have a better guess but here we are. :)
That was my argument to the plant guru at work here but he was still saying water parsley.

View attachment 187643

Tilingia Jeholensis? App came up with this not me.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back