Planning for an Eastern Montana mule deer hunt

Montana isn’t forcing you to do anything. You are lucky they allow you to come hunt here.
Well I agree with you in the allowing non-resident hunters to come hunt in Montana is generous, your statement about not being forced to do anything is truly disingenuous in that it completely ignores how messed up Montana’s point system is.

Like forcing us (NR) to use or lose our points? Would much rather have waited another year or two for the herd to recover but MT FWP wants that $$ now I guess.
At least I have a bird dog to bring this year... I'll shoot my forkie the first day and then focus on some birds.
Well, I actually was not referring to the point system at all. I was referring to the fact Montanans as a whole can’t quite figure out how to allocate tags across individual hunt districts and actually allow an agency to truly distribute hunters and restrict harvest within certain areas that may need it.

Well I agree with you in the allowing non-resident hunters to come hunt in Montana is generous, your statement about not being forced to do anything is truly disingenuous in that it completely ignores how messed up Montana’s point system is.
right, and you have a choice to apply or spend your money elsewhere. You get to make that decision. Montana is more than generous to out of staters, probably too much so.

Well, I actually was not referring to the point system at all. I was referring to the fact Montanans as a whole can’t quite figure out how to allocate tags across individual hunt districts and actually allow an agency to truly distribute hunters and restrict harvest within certain areas that may need it.
Montanan's "as a whole" aren't making those decisions. mtmuley

right, and you have a choice to apply or spend your money elsewhere. You get to make that decision. Montana is more than generous to out of staters, probably too much so.
Absolutely you can make a choice. You’re still completely ignoring the fact that once a person starts buying points, they have absolutely no option but to keep buying points and take the tag and shoot the first dink they see because they just sunk over thousand dollars into a deer hunt. They’re only other option is to just except the fact they already pissed money away and walk away from it. Neither choice is good, and I don’t blame anyone for taking a tag and shooting the first deer they see.

Montanan's "as a whole" aren't making those decisions. mtmuley
Montanans as a whole have continued to ask for opportunity for years. I’ve sat through enough commission meeting to see it.

Absolutely you can make a choice. You’re still completely ignoring the fact that once a person starts buying points, they have absolutely no option but to keep buying points and take the tag and shoot the first dink they see because they just sunk over thousand dollars into a deer hunt. They’re only other option is to just except the fact they already pissed money away and walk away from it. Neither choice is good, and I don’t blame anyone for taking a tag and shooting the first deer they see.
Probably true but again mtfwp isn’t holding a gun to any one’s head. They are willing participants in a crap management and point system. Plenty of other states to spend money in.

Probably true but again mtfwp isn’t holding a gun to any one’s head. They are willing participants in a crap management and point system. Plenty of other states to spend money in.
No shit Sherlock. I already acknowledged that, and just admit to the fact that the whole point system is completely screwed up and doesn’t allow nonresident any flexibility in what they do, therefore potentially compelling them to make poor choices they consider the lesser of the lesser of the evils.

No shit Sherlock. I already acknowledged that, and just admit to the fact that the whole point system is completely screwed up and doesn’t allow nonresident any flexibility in what they do, therefore potentially compelling them to make poor choices they consider the lesser of the lesser of the evils.
Apply in Idaho they don’t have a point system. You will be money ahead.

Probably a wash if you just lose the points. Lose $200 in points save $200 in fuel and not have to shoot a forky. Use the points and spend $200 in fuel to shoot a forky.

For $800, I will continue to purchase that "generosity". Lighten up guys, geez. You Montanans are angrier than anybody I've ever met when it comes to trying to manage your herds and reel in your bureaucratic mess that you call an FWP. For $800, I'll continue to be that scapegoat on why your herds are so f'd up.

Seriously, I very much enjoy hunting in Montana, I wish I had the opportunity you guys do to call it home because it is an amazing state, and believe me, a lot of us NR are as mad as you guys when we see how things are managed. Its pretty hard to walk away from $150 invested in preference points when I am told that I have to use them or I lose all of my investment. Not to mention during this year of all years when drought and EHD is likely to get even worse. I would gladly keep my points and wait a few more years.

For $800, I will continue to purchase that "generosity". Lighten up guys, geez. You Montanans are angrier than anybody I've ever met when it comes to trying to manage your herds and reel in your bureaucratic mess that you call an FWP. For $800, I'll continue to be that scapegoat on why your herds are so f'd up.

I think we are all so angry is because we know that the only way anything ever changes is if residents and non residents quit filling their pickup boxes full of mule deer does and quit being happy to shoot a fork horn. Only way anything ever happens if non residents who pay the most quit buying the shitty tag. Left over licenses tell FWP that people are tired of the bullshit. Sold out tags with people waiting in line for whatever gets turned back in tells FWP things are great

Seriously, I very much enjoy hunting in Montana, I wish I had the opportunity you guys do to call it home because it is an amazing state, and believe me, a lot of us NR are as mad as you guys when we see how things are managed. Its pretty hard to walk away from $150 invested in preference points when I am told that I have to use them or I lose all of my investment. Not to mention during this year of all years when drought and EHD is likely to get even worse. I would gladly keep my points and wait a few more years.
I think the reason I get agitated is many of us have seen what it used to be like. The potential is there, and seeing how far it has fallen is tough to stomach. Was out for a walk today picking up some chalky white muley horns thinking what has changed. Growing up I saw hardly any hunters maybe a few locals on the weekend or a stray group of Washington or Minnesotans. Now it is a constant flow of hunters even during the week for the entire season. Supposedly hunter numbers and out of state tags hasn’t increased, so I question where the increase has came from. Change for the better would be easy but would limit opportunity to hunt which in my opinion is fine in many others it isn’t.

When I was about 17 I talked to an older guy from Glendive about deer hunting. He told me that I was wasting my time hunting deer in SW Mt because the deer hunting was far better in eastern Mt. I thought he was full of shit. We used to see over 100 deer in a day hunting the mountains of SW Mt. I couldn't imagine it being better. This was about 1980.

The last 20 years we are doing good to see 10 deer in a day in the same areas with 50 years of experience. Some days zero. Anyone who chooses to hunt deer in SW Mt. over eastern Mt. is a dreamer and this includes resident and nonresident. Therein lies your problem. I don't see it getting better anytime soon.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back