Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Planning for an Eastern Montana mule deer hunt

I live in the southeastern part of Wisconsin. Here’s a picture of deer densities. That’s roughly half what Montana averages just for whitetail. Almost everything is private farmland. Or suburbs with tiny bits of public. I’ve run trail cameras for years and the deer on public are generally only active from midnight to 4 am. Otherwise they are bedded in impossible to hunt thick shit. And all public is pounded by hunters in a way that Westerners could never imagine. Last year I saw 12 guys either across from me or walk past me in a 100 acre field of public on opening day. Hunting is horrible here (and yes, I move elsewhere in the state sometimes but that takes time and networking). Going out west looks way more fun and inviting.
Sounds like your just bitching and whining strap your boots on a little tighter for a slam dunk.

View attachment 221467
My step son shot this buck after it walked off a public dnr tract of public about 160 acres onto the private we were on. Took longer to drive there than it did to kill the buck. That tract is open to anyone to hunt. Took all of 20 minutes to pick that spot🤷‍♂.
The Wisconsin’s used to come with a box of apples and have free reign of the place. The old guys were farmers and were cool dudes they wanted to play cards and have a good time. The next generation were hardos. They started asking where the better bucks have gone and then showed us pictures of the giant whitetails they had shot or were hunting. They didn’t care about Montana they just showed up wanted to shoot something and leave. You seem to be the type that wants to show up shoot something and leave. That is not wildlife management and that is no regard for the resource. Hunting shouldn’t be easy and unlimited tags in open country during the rut is no good.

The Wisconsin’s used to come with a box of apples and have free reign of the place. The old guys were farmers and were cool dudes they wanted to play cards and have a good time. The next generation were hardos. They started asking where the better bucks have gone and then showed us pictures of the giant whitetails they had shot or were hunting. They didn’t care about Montana they just showed up wanted to shoot something and leave. You seem to be the type that wants to show up shoot something and leave. That is not wildlife management and that is no regard for the resource. Hunting shouldn’t be easy and unlimited tags in open country during the rut is no good.
You talking to me?

• Haha
Reactions: DFS

Use to be my uncles favorite time of the year when “his hunters” came out from Pennsylvania. Was just a bunch of good guys hanging out having a good time. They’d bring out apples and summer sausage and he’d send them home with canned stuff from the garden. A lot of times those guys would swing by in the summer times with their wives just to take my aunt and uncle to dinner and bullshit as they were heading west on vacations

Perhaps staysharp has scarred me for life regarding this, but never thought it was fair to paint with such a broad brush regarding “guys from….”

(Except for Illinois obviously, but even then there are probably one or two exceptions;))

Until then, I’m headed up to dump a forky 😀

*Edit: you Montanans are the biggest bunch of cry babies I’ve ever seen. I’m looking forward to killing some of your shit this year.

This is honestly why I've become less and less upset with so many western states eliminating opportunity for non residents and in some states eventually all opportunity for DIY non residents I'm sure. I get it. Why the F would they want people like @Cheesehead coming to their state? It seems there has become more and more @Cheesehead 's than guys that are respectful and truly care about the future of the resource and habitat. "I'm looking forward to killing more of your shit this year?" Are you 12? It's easy to run your mouth and disrespect what so many fight for when you live in a place that nobody cares about. Great job at embarrassing your state 🤡

After 20 years I threw in the towel on MT. Some of the older members of my group had been going since the 80's and know just how bad it's gotten compared to the old days.
It's just declined too far to justify the trip anymore and the state just eff's with the points and process to the point that we just said bye. Lots of good memories out there but for value isn't there for the time and money it takes to do it. I can hike around and look at little deer in lots of places.

I don't know, with an avatar like that you're making them nervous, is that Montana? :ROFLMAO:
No, Wisconsin, i grew out of the brown is down mindset when i was 14. I caught a lot of flack because i wasn't shooting every buck that come past me and i was shooting a .243. I went my separate way in my early 20's and never looked back, best decision I've ever made when it comes to hunting.
I loved the deer camp and the comrade, but grew to dislike the hunting part

Last edited:
After 20 years I threw in the towel on MT. Some of the older members of my group had been going since the 80's and know just how bad it's gotten compared to the old days.
It's just declined too far to justify the trip anymore and the state just eff's with the points and process to the point that we just said bye. Lots of good memories out there but for value isn't there for the time and money it takes to do it. I can hike around and look at little deer in lots of places.
I feel this statement to the core! Our group is in the same boat.

Hunted the breaks and SE MT in the 90’s. It really was incredible. Not sure we will ever see that again. I have given up on both for the most part. Do we bitch about that. Sure do. To anyone that will listen. Maybe someday it will sink in.

Back