Planning for an Eastern Montana mule deer hunt

You’ll get there. Any kids yet? That’s when it really started hitting home for me. To think back to what it was like when I was a kid to what It will be like when my kids get to hunt. I’m not even talking about an age class of deer. Just the deer in general. Even the antelope. I remember as a kid being able to go up on this big hill out where we lived and being able to see 4-5 different groups of antelope. 20+ in each herd. Now that same hill you are lucky to pick up one group
Two kids both born here both love to be out hunting and shed hunting and fishing with me. I expect they’ll continue to do that, following whatever laws they must to do so. Hopefully they won’t have to cross their fingers and pray they get to fill the freezer with a deer and an elk every year in their home state. Even if it’s a doe and a cow….

Hunters will never self regulate, Montana’s management is a free for all. I’ve come to the realization as easy as it would be to fix things with a little less opportunity and season structure changes it will never happen. There is no appetite for it and most people could care less about herd health or healthy age structure as long as they have a tag in their pocket. Montana provides a tag in the pocket, it doesn’t provide much more unless you have access to primo private land. Enjoy this year it will be the best you ever see.

Last edited:
You’ll get there. Any kids yet? That’s when it really started hitting home for me. To think back to what it was like when I was a kid to what It will be like when my kids get to hunt. I’m not even talking about an age class of deer. Just the deer in general. Even the antelope. I remember as a kid being able to go up on this big hill out where we lived and being able to see 4-5 different groups of antelope. 20+ in each herd. Now that same hill you are lucky to pick up one group
Hits home with the kids around here as well @brockel Not just the amount of game but the access as well.

From what I can see, there is plenty of does and cows to go around, we are over objective- and take it from states that don’t allow the shooting of female species, the class of males didn’t get any better
Hunters will never self regulate, Montana’s management is a free for all. I’ve come to the realization as easy as it would be to fix things with a little less opportunity and season structure changes it will never happen. There is no appetite for it and most people could care less about herd health or healthy age structure as long as they have a tag in their pocket. Montana provides a tag in the pocket, it doesn’t provide much more unless you have access to primo private land. Enjoy this year it will be the best you ever see.
oh yea buddy every year it gets better! I find more opportunities more animals and better age class every year. If you ain’t, you’re not trying.!

I will add, this is a public land hunting forum and we are essentially letting private land owners control our wildlife by the lack of management while we continue to fight for the crumbs. Unlimited opportunity is good for no one especially wildlife that would like to reside on public.

From what I can see, there is plenty of does and cows to go around, we are over objective- and take it from states that don’t allow the shooting of female species, the class of males didn’t get any better

oh yea buddy every year it gets better! I find more opportunities more animals and better age class every year. If you ain’t, you’re not trying.!
Noted I will try harder thanks for the advice.

Where are all the does? mtmuley

Reactions: DFS
Good luck gettin my honey holes bud! 😉😂

In all seriousness, i see doe mulees and whitetail alike everywhere. Public and private, in abundance. I cannot believe this is even a conversation and If it makes me a better liked instead of more hated member of HT, I’d be happy to post pictures of does and healthy bucks every time I possibly can spot and take a pic of them. Cuz I don’t see what all the griping is about.. lol I don’t see anything like the 1800s pics either but dang y’all got low drive or something to not find Loads of animals.

Were you even around for that conversation or just reaping some points for making fun of it? Go back to FB
I was there. Also I believe in an earlier post you said you have never harvested a mule deer buck? I’m glad you are happy with the way things are. A lot of people do it for different reasons, I personally would like to see a healthy herd on public and private, you seem to want the tag in the pocket? Just different mind sets.

I was there. Also I believe in an earlier post you said you have never harvested a mule deer buck? I’m glad you are happy with the way things are. A lot of people do it for different reasons, I personally would like to see a healthy herd on public and private, you seem to want the tag in the pocket? Just different mind sets.
I do see healthy herds on public and private you whiner! Get out and find them! I’d have the same mindset too if I couldn’t find any, but I don’t have that problem.

The post about not having shot a mule deer came much later, thanks.!

In addition, if you’ve never been to Amsterdam/ Churchill MT, there is an EXTENSIVE public land grid of public land alfalfa field winter wheat etc.. they use pivots to divide the public from private in one spot, instead of a fence.. y’all think it’s so farfetched; and some of you seem so intelligent. Im in shock for the future of mankind, not the game- the animals will continue to thrive and adapt 🤣

Love how I say I’d be happy to fill your guys’ feed up with healthy herds and plenty of does and cows and decent not massive but decent bucks; but nobody has an accord? Nobody agree to quit b+^tin if i do huh? Just like whining? Love how I say where a public land ag field is and nobody likes that. Watch out HUNTTALK, ima come back with a new handle dissing the CHIT outta the beautiful Rockies and Montana in general and get more points than no Harley! 🤣🤣🤣

There ain’t shit for doe’s … the fact the FWP even sells doe tags that are good for public land is sad . You have 0 idea what your talking about and that’s been made abundantly clear .

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back