Planing 2021 elk hunt in Colorado, with 19 PP focused on Unit 76 early rifle.

I had a friend draw this unit for the muzzleloader tag. He hunted above timberline and was able to connect on a heavy 6x6. I haven't heard what he actually ended up scoring but he is a beautiful bull.

I live just on the other side of the mountain range in the San Luis Valley. We see some decent animal's head back to Texas and Arkansas every year from that unit and surrounding units. I personally haven't spent much time in the unit other than. Doing some fishing and spring shed hunting.

Best of luck in the draw and the hunt! I'll be watching for the follow up story!
Well the knee rehab is going super and I got clearance to start back on my horses last week and climbing to get in hunting shape. I put the application in for early rifle, if draw odds are correct I should have 1-2 points above the cutoff for 100% draw success. I just started considering equipment and what rifle I plan on using for this hunt. I also put in for a moose tag that overlaps which might change my thinking if I draw both. Still may go with a 338-06 I built about 20 years ago, shilen barrel, pre 64 model 70 and a McMillan Kevlar stock. Looking at the terrain I think should be able to get close distance and keep shots under 400 yards where the 180 gr 338 at 2800 will do well. If lightning strikes and I draw both I might go with a favorite of mine, a pre war 350 Griffin and Howe (a 375 H&H necked down- 250 grain GS bullet at 3,000) that should be excellent Moose medicine, albeit a little heavy. If I lose 15 lbs getting in shape that will cover the extra rifle weight!

I hope to be in 76 first rifle. I am planning on scouting that country a lot over late summer would like to chat a little.

That would be great to trade info and plans. I am in for early rifle so if I draw (19 pts should do it) I can give you some very current info. Let me know your scouting plans and maybe we can do some together.

That would be great to trade info and plans. I am in for early rifle so if I draw (19 pts should do it) I can give you some very current info. Let me know your scouting plans and maybe we can do some together.
Hey Mike, I'm pretty sure we have met at 4crs down in Bodo.
I guided 76 last year and have hunted it since cow licenses were B tags (man, those were the days). I'll try to help where I can if you want to PM me.
I will most likely be guiding 1st, but not early rifle this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back