MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Planing 2021 elk hunt in Colorado, with 19 PP focused on Unit 76 early rifle.

Durango Mike

I am in the never land of Colorado preference points (just seem to staying 1-2 points away) and at 73 i don't think I will live long enough to tag out for the super prime areas like 66 and 201 for early rifle. With a new knee scheduled in 2 weeks I should be back in shape to do some serious hiking by October. I have enlisted two of my young studs to join me, with them hopefully drawing tags for 77 we will be able to hunt both GMU's from the same camp. Early rifle hopefully avoids serious weather at 12,000 (I know how quickly things can change having lived in the Rockies since 1994). 76 is a quality zone and jumps out for two reasons, close to home and potentially reasonable access with horses to set up camp and do early scouting. Since I will have ample time to use my computer during knee surgery recovery to E scout, something I have never seriously done, looking for suggestions from HT on how folks do it themselves. I have looked at Randy's videos, joined GoHunt insider and started playing with 3D maps a little, and having spent 12 years in Search and Rescue have good familiarity with Google earth, GAIA maps, GPS. If someone wants to take a look at GMU 76 along with me as we move through the year I intend to report on planning, on the ground scouting, equipment, and obviously the hunt when we do it. Anyone who hunted 76 this year is welcome and encouraged to chime in with observations.

I have enlisted two of my young studs to join me, with them hopefully drawing tags for 77 we will be able to hunt both GMU's from the same camp.
The wrinkle to your plan is there is no Early Rifle season in 77. Unless you were planning to hunt 76 during the Early season, and stay through 1st rifle.

The wrinkle to your plan is there is no Early Rifle season in 77. Unless you were planning to hunt 76 during the Early season, and stay through 1st rifle.
That was the plan set a nice camp that we can use for both.
The 77/76 boundary is a beautiful area, better get that knee in shape though, there is very little easy hiking down there.
I need the added incentive to get in super shape! For the last several years I have been pretty limited to where I could get horseback, and even that was limited. The classic dilemma as CO has added to the draw only hunts and when you stack up a bunch of points you don't want to blow them on a hunt code that might take 3-4. There seems to be a big spread between 12 points and the 18 -19 needed to draw one of the prime GMU's with 100% certainty. Both the boys are also archery hunters and might opt to hunt 77 with bows.

I hunted sheep this year in 76. Get in shape. Some beautiful but steep and nasty country. Most of the elk I saw were tucked back on drainages way up high. 11,000+. Would be happy to go over a few spots if you want to pm me.

I hunted sheep this year in 76. Get in shape. Some beautiful but steep and nasty country. Most of the elk I saw were tucked back on drainages way up high. 11,000+. Would be happy to go over a few spots if you want to pm me.
Thanks! I will do that as we get into deep research mode, one of my young studs has hunted that area a few times so we will compare notes.

Hunted sheep in that unit 2 years ago and would be happy to share where I was seeing elk send a PM if you want some specifics.

I wish you the best Durango Mike, and I think you are wise to go for the adventure while you can. I'm not quite there with you in age but I'm working on it!

I experienced some good muzzleloader hunts in 66 on landowner tags about 10 years ago and I would love to make that early rifle hunt in 76 but my 20 non resident points won't quite get me the tag. I may end up trying for 61 depending on what I can learn about it.

Interested to learn how you and the young fellas make out!

Jeff

I archery hunted 76 in 2017 and agree with others that you better be in shape. Had some hunters pull out that weren't prepared or able to hike to treeline as that's where most of the elk I found were consistently hanging out. PM me if you'd like more specifics. In my research, I did find that some areas that looked like it was too far to pack in solo, were very crowded with horse camps so be aware that just because you have horses doesn't mean you can get away from crowds.

archery hunted 76 for elk in ‘17 and ‘18 on reissue tags and should draw it this year with my brother. You are in for a great hunt. I will say what a buddy said and it VERY true 76 is HUGE and it is HARD or at least takes hours to get from one are
+a of unit to another area.
Consider planning to camp where you give yourself best options to to relocate as needed versus the convenience of a shared camp spot that accesses two units.

This is your ‘big’ pref points hunt. Enjoy it of course, but also do not limit your options for a great hunt any more than absolutely necessary is my suggestion.

Last edited:
Thinking about same thing or archery cause seems like I will never catch up with 20 points to muzzleloader hunt 76. Gave up thinking about 61 years ago. Wish Colorado would go to hybrid draw like wyoming for nonresidents.

I have seen quite a few large horse and mule camps (outfitters?) on the 77 side very, very, very close to the 76/77 border.

archery hunted 76 for elk in ‘17 and ‘18 on reissue tags and should draw it this year with my brother. You are in for a great hunt. In will say what a buddy said and it VERY true 76 is HUGE and it is HARD or at least takes hours to get form oine ara of unit to another area.
Consider planning to camp where you give yourself best options to to relocate as needed versus the convenience of a shared camp spot that accesses two units.

This is your ‘big’ pref points hunt. Enjoy it of course, but also do not limit your options for a great hunt any more than absolutely necessary is my suggestion.
If you draw let me know maybe I can help you out and pack out with horses and mules we have. I am actually thinking of doing a Randy and chartering a chopper to drop us where we want to be. We plan on a scouting trip or two so if we know where you are we might be able to resupply when we go in to scout. Just got a new knee 2 weeks ago and this hunt is going to be my reward for getting back in shape.My wife will not let another trophy in the house unless it is bigger and I have a 7X7 368 on the wall from archery in NM which will be hard to beat, I have a little room in the barn tack room.

Last edited:
I have seen quite a few large horse and mule camps (outfitters?) on the 77 side very, very, very close to the 76/77 border.
Yes they are there and tend to push animals into 76.Not worried as likely no early rifle in 77, before us it will be bow and muzzle loader.

If you draw let me know maybe I can help you out and pack out with horses and mules we have. I am actually thinking of doing a Randy and chartering a chopper to drop us where we want to be. We plan on a scouting trip or two so if we know where you are we might be able to resupply when we go in to scout. Just got a new knee 2 weeks ago and this hunt is going to be my reward for getting back in shape.My wife will not let another trophy in the house unless it is bigger and I have a 7X7 368 on the wall from archery in NM which will be hard to beat, I have a little room in the barn tack room.
good deal. Yeah, I have one a couple inches over 360 and a number over 300. just did a euro on all of them as I always do. hanging them on the wall is low on my priority. all my elk euros sit upside down in the basement pool room. Just love hunting them and trying to tag mature bulls when I can.

I am in the never land of Colorado preference points (just seem to staying 1-2 points away) and at 73 i don't think I will live long enough to tag out for the super prime areas like 66 and 201 for early rifle. With a new knee scheduled in 2 weeks I should be back in shape to do some serious hiking by October. I have enlisted two of my young studs to join me, with them hopefully drawing tags for 77 we will be able to hunt both GMU's from the same camp. Early rifle hopefully avoids serious weather at 12,000 (I know how quickly things can change having lived in the Rockies since 1994). 76 is a quality zone and jumps out for two reasons, close to home and potentially reasonable access with horses to set up camp and do early scouting. Since I will have ample time to use my computer during knee surgery recovery to E scout, something I have never seriously done, looking for suggestions from HT on how folks do it themselves. I have looked at Randy's videos, joined GoHunt insider and started playing with 3D maps a little, and having spent 12 years in Search and Rescue have good familiarity with Google earth, GAIA maps, GPS. If someone wants to take a look at GMU 76 along with me as we move through the year I intend to report on planning, on the ground scouting, equipment, and obviously the hunt when we do it. Anyone who hunted 76 this year is welcome and encouraged to chime in with observations.

I had a friend draw this unit for the muzzleloader tag. He hunted above timberline and was able to connect on a heavy 6x6. I haven't heard what he actually ended up scoring but he is a beautiful bull.

I live just on the other side of the mountain range in the San Luis Valley. We see some decent animal's head back to Texas and Arkansas every year from that unit and surrounding units. I personally haven't spent much time in the unit other than. Doing some fishing and spring shed hunting.

Best of luck in the draw and the hunt! I'll be watching for the follow up story!

Back