Place to Start for Mule Deer

Dhosera

First of all This is my first post and I want to say wow you guys have been extremely helpfull to others since I have been reading and reading old posts for sometime now. Maybe its just my experiences in Michigan on our sporting fourms which are a bit negitive and tight lipped to say the least. I'd like to take my Grandfather and Dad out west on a Muley hunt while both are still able to hunt and am looking for a place to start and a little help from some of you guys. What better than 3 generations of hunters going out west for a week? My expectations are not for giant buck, but rather for decent opportunities to get my father and grandfather on any sort of buck, while not hiking in the extreme parts of the country. Last years hunt in Alaska for Alpine Black Bear was something I need to recover at least a year from. Toughest thing I have ever attempted and yet we were successfull! I would appreciate any information, tips or general areas to focus on to try and get something around for this fall. Thanks in Advance!

It's a little late to be asking that question as far into the application periods for a lot of the western states you're talking about, especially without even narrowing it down to one or two states. Wyoming, for instance, has an application ending in less than 30 days. You will need to do a lot of work quickly and really should have been asking a year ago because most start looking at the following year as soon as the season is over that Fall. Do any of you have any PPs for any western state because it's not like you can just go out and buy a tag and go hunting like we can here in Michigan?

Good luck....most will tell you to post something about yourself first....and then tell you to do your own research. if you want to hunt South East Wyoming ask away i will help anyway that i can. good luck and hope you get the answers you are looking for.....

As far as points go we dont have all but one point in Wy for deer. From looking over some of the information some have pointed to the south eastern part of WY for god opportunities on public land Mule but trophy potential is not that great in that area, then again Trophy is not a top priority.

I have heard Western Kansas is a good bet but difficulty drawing a deer tag let alone a mule tag is the story there.

I'd be happy to tell anyone about myself if thats what it takes to get the ball rolling. I've helped others with information about Alaska since I have family there and its got to be the most difficult state to hunt as far as regulations, logistics, access and difficult terrain. I myself am in pretty good shape and love the challange, but this one would be with my 73 year old grandfather and 53 year old father.

I appreciate the posts so far and look forward to others.

Western Kansas is easy to draw a deer tag area 2 and 17 are 100% draw for non res at least they were last year now drawing the mule deer stamp might be another story not sure about that one and as for trophy deer in south east wyoming the deer numbers are down but the trophy deer are there have not had any trouble finding big deer the last few years.

Non residents are not hunting mule deer bucks in Kansas. Non resident landowners can apply for a antlerless any species tag, but only legal residents can put in for the any deer ( antlered or not, either species of deer)

Non residents are not hunting mule deer bucks in Kansas. Non resident landowners can apply for a antlerless any species tag, but only legal residents can put in for the any deer ( antlered or not, either species of deer)

I dont believe that is correct. Here is data from huntin fool for non residents and it shows 50 mule deer buck stamps were given to nr's just in unit 1. I also hunted with some guys from new mexico this season one of which had a mule deer stamp as a non resident. Best odds for a mule dder stamp are muzzleloader apps.

2010 by the Numbers
Non Resident Data
Whitetail Deer
Quota Apps Simple Odds
671 838 80.07%
Drawn by Weapon
Firearm 306
Archery 254
Muzzleloader 111
Point Breakdown
Points Permits Issued
0 597
1 42
2 18
3 3
4 3
5 5
6 2
7 1

Mule Deer Stamp
Quota Apps Simple Odds
50 263 19.01%
Drawn by Weapon
Firearm 0
Archery 31
Muzzleloader 19

Thanks for better info!! Should have not relied on the two page summary it would seem:eek:

Every state has a lot of areas that fit your description. I will only list info about Idaho because I haven't had time to hunt other states for a long time.

Idaho has a lot of over-the-counter mule deer options for non-residents. Start here for harvest statistics: http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/ifwis/...x?season=general&game=deer&yr=2010&method=any

Idaho does give some ground to other states when it comes to older bucks and ease of hunting in order to allow everyone to hunt every year. There is obviously going to be more hunting pressure in general areas than in good draw areas, but there are a lot of good options.

Idaho's draw hunt (called "controlled hunt") application deadline is not until June 5th, so you still have plenty of time for this year. There are no preference points, so you will have the same odds every year. Nonresidents and residents are drawn from the same tag pool, but nonresident can only get 10% of the pool. Most drawing odds are similar for residents and nonresidents, but you can use the drawing odds lookup to see if a hunt is especially popular with non-residents. If you want to apply for a draw hunt, here is a link to get the drawing odds for the past decade: http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/licenses/controlledHunts/lookupOdds.cfm
The fist link will also allow you to pull up success rates for each of the draw hunts.

Thanks for better info!! Should have not relied on the two page summary it would seem:eek:

Heck those 50 tags may be the nr landowners but I really don't think so. I have put in for the mule deer stamp unsuccessfully the last 2 years and I don't think they would take my application money of there wasn't a chance of drawing the tag.

My data is from 2010 and 2011 so there could have been a change for 2012 but again I doubt it. Kansas is one of those states where drawing data from previous years is kinda hard to come by. Almost as bad as Iowa!

Non residents in Kansas put in for the Whitetail draw, and if drawn and wanting to invest 100ish more dollars can put in for a muledeer stamp draw. Learned something tonight.

I appreciate the Replies thus far. I had read about Kansas and the difficulty of drawing a Mule deer Stamp.

I appreciate the heads up for the Idaho. That may be worth researching a little more closely. Does anyone care to comment about Wyoming?

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back