Pistol carry with Mystery Ranch Sawtooth

jerm8352

I am looking for a way to carry my XDm 10mm while out elk hunting with my Mystery Ranch back pack. I have tried a drop leg thigh holster and hate it. I do not want to attach it to the hip belt of the pack because I ditch the pack to stalk animals. I do not like chest holsters. I know that mystery ranch makes a holster but they are not in stock anywhere and I don’t want it on the hip belt or bino harness. I am looking at something along the lines of a safariland ubl with a 578 GLS holster. Not sure how I feel about the retention lock on the holster. Also looking at the Blade tech with their version of the ubl or a gunfighters inc micro aggression panel with a ronin holster. Anyone run any of these or something similar. Basically I want to be able to carry the XDm lower than the hip belt but NOT a full drop leg or chest holster. Thanks for any help.

I just used the molle adapter from Safariland to attach my holster to my sawtooth 45. Had to use a 2 inch drop spacer to make the draw comfortable. Attached it to the hip belt which I understand you don't want. However I think it will work well for me at least. Might be worth a try. Only way I could comfortably carry while wearing the back and a bino harness

I am looking for a way to carry my XDm 10mm while out elk hunting with my Mystery Ranch back pack. I have tried a drop leg thigh holster and hate it. I do not want to attach it to the hip belt of the pack because I ditch the pack to stalk animals. I do not like chest holsters. I know that mystery ranch makes a holster but they are not in stock anywhere and I don’t want it on the hip belt or bino harness. I am looking at something along the lines of a safariland ubl with a 578 GLS holster. Not sure how I feel about the retention lock on the holster. Also looking at the Blade tech with their version of the ubl or a gunfighters inc micro aggression panel with a ronin holster. Anyone run any of these or something similar. Basically I want to be able to carry the XDm lower than the hip belt but NOT a full drop leg or chest holster. Thanks for any help.
Running in to the same issue with a MR Metcalf. I use a Safariland OWB Paddle holster, but it won’t attach to the hip belt of the pack and I haven’t been able to find anything that will work (funny you mention the MR holster out of stock - try being a lefty and find one! Lol). Why do you hate the drop holster? Was thinking of going that route.

Drop leg flops all over the place, pulls down your pants, all kinds of issues. Read up on them. I should have before going that route. They look badass but aren’t very useful. I just ordered a ubl from safariland to drop the holster but still be on the belt. The holster hasn’t showed up yet though so I can’t comment on how it works. Also ordered a steel core gun belt to see if that makes a difference.

I use something similar to what you are talking about on my gunbelt for work, and I agree with Kyle, in that a gunbelt makes it a way better ride. That being said I don’t think what you are talking about is a terrible idea. The one thing I would call out is that these types of setups tend to tip the top out away from your body, combining that with an already wider profile with the offset/drop plate, and your pistol is going to be way out from your body, potentially catching on a lot of crap. Personally, if I carry a pistol in the woods; which is rare, I carry it on the waist belt of my pack, and keep spray on my person mounted to my Bino harness....
C3BF3926-6ABD-4BA5-879C-E76247041538.jpeg

Wouldn't the safariland MLS or QLS be the ticket? I'm kind of slanting towards that route on mine.

Got a ubl and the 578 gls holster. Seems like it will work. Haven’t gotten a chance to get out on the mountain yet.

The whole point of carrying a gun is to have it with you all the time. I always attach it to my belt. FDADC212-5892-47C8-876D-FC5FEC009336.jpegBFA9F496-80D8-4CD4-AFCB-BA335650B69E.jpeg

Drop leg flops all over the place, pulls down your pants, all kinds of issues. Read up on them. I should have before going that route. They look badass but aren’t very useful. I just ordered a ubl from safariland to drop the holster but still be on the belt. The holster hasn’t showed up yet though so I can’t comment on how it works. Also ordered a steel core gun belt to see if that makes a difference.
I appreciate the feedback! I looked into the drop leg further at your suggestion and am glad I did. I had no idea. I ordered the UBL from Safariland. It just came today so I haven’t had it in the woods, but initial impression is that it will do the trick! Thanks again.

Back