Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Picked up a 6.5 Creedmoor, ammo?

For almost ALL of the manufacturers that bring their rifles for us to shoot they choose the 143 ELD X loads. They seem to perform consistently across all of the rifles I have shot them through. I am still waiting on my Manbun ......when it arrives I will start with this round.

Last edited:
My father n law and I spent a whole day with both our guns trying over a dozen different factory loads ( for deer size game). I have a Howa 1500 and he has a Browning X Bolt Pro. There was one clear winner for both our guns, and it wasn't close. Both guns shot under 3/4 groups with Hornady American Whitetail 129Gr. Virtually the cheapest ammo out there. It what I am shooting. Bought a crap load of it.

We handload for 6 different 6.5s. they all like different loads but the all around standard for break-in and scope mount round is the Hornady 140 gr. The Hornady 143 ELDX is the best for average accuracy. Fine tuned developed loads are with GMX and TTSX in different rifles. Find what it likes and shoot that until you decide that you need more accuracy and more on to hand loads.

Last edited:
Well, I've been jonesing for a 6.5 creedmoor to have as a dedicated "smaller than elk" rifle for a while now and grabbed the Savage Axis II from the Bass Pro black Friday sale. Before I start randomly grabbing whatever boxes of ammo I can find, do y'all have any recommendations to start with?

Mine likes the Barnes ammo, TTSX and LRX. I killed an elk with the 127gr LRX, one shot, pulled the bullet out of an aspen that was behind the elk.

tempImagerEqNth.jpg

Mine likes the Barnes ammo, TTSX and LRX. I killed an elk with the 127gr LRX, one shot, pulled the bullet out of an aspen that was behind the elk.

View attachment 252366
Are you finding the lrx has less expansion than the TTSX? We haven't had much satisfaction with the lRX. The shoot well but seems to be lacking in kill power.

The Federal Nontypical 140gr is the easy button if you're looking for inexpensive, accuracy, and a good bullet on game. I got several boxes a few years ago when Federal was running a rebate and the local shop had a sale. I ended up getting loaded ammo cheaper than I could buy brass at the time. It shot so well that I ended up hunting with it to shoot it up and took several whitetails with that load. Performance was great.

Shoot 130 Accubonds now, but those are probably like unicorns in any kind of factory load.

Are you finding the lrx has less expansion than the TTSX? We haven't had much satisfaction with the lRX. The shoot well but seems to be lacking in kill power.
My son shot a deer with the 127 LRX out of a 6.5-300. Took two steps.

He shot his bull with a 145 LRX out of a 7mm. Dropped in its tracks.

Both one shot kills. Both pass throughs so expansion examination didn’t happen. But both animals didn’t go anywhere. Both shots were between 250-350 yds. I love Barnes LRX. I’ve had no issue finding a load that is accurate with the velocity’s I am hoping for.

I have a Savage 12FV in 6.5MB. It’ll typically shoot anything I load for it in sub 1”. I haven’t shot any factory ammo through it, but have shot plenty of the 140/143gr Hornady offerings and they shoot great. I’d imagine that their factory versions would be perfectly fine. As stated above, Federal blue box and Hornady American Whitetail will probably be great options if you want something a bit less expensive.

My son shot a deer with the 127 LRX out of a 6.5-300. Took two steps.

He shot his bull with a 145 LRX out of a 7mm. Dropped in its tracks.

Both one shot kills. Both pass throughs so expansion examination didn’t happen. But both animals didn’t go anywhere. Both shots were between 250-350 yds. I love Barnes LRX. I’ve had no issue finding a load that is accurate with the velocity’s I am hoping for.
Shot placement is everything. It just seems that anything in closer than 200 yds gives a clean through and through with a 6.5 CM. .223/5.56 give great expansion at sub 200 range on deer and pigs.

My X-Bolt 6.5CM was all but perfect with the Federal Trophy Copper 120gr, so I never even shot the Barnes LRX 127gr, Hornady Superformance CX 120gr ammo (nor a few others) I'd gathered to set up my rifle to shoot copper. I might get to them in the future, but for now, I'm happy to hunt with the Trophy Copper.

I have a Remington 783 with Walnut stock, Burris fullfield scope, 4.5 x 14 . I shot a nice buck antelope Oct. 2021 in Wyoming using Hornady Precision Hunter 143 grain Eld-X bullets. I highly recommend this round. I ranged him at 102 yards and he was walking broadside to me. I shot him right behind the front leg and he just went straight down. His legs just folded under him and that was it. Dead as a door nail. He never kicked twitched or anything. I was pleasantly surprised how well the bullet performed. Bench rested at 100 yards I get a three shot group at just a hair over 1/2 inch.

The Federal Nontypical 140gr is the easy button if you're looking for inexpensive, accuracy, and a good bullet on game. I got several boxes a few years ago when Federal was running a rebate and the local shop had a sale. I ended up getting loaded ammo cheaper than I could buy brass at the time. It shot so well that I ended up hunting with it to shoot it up and took several whitetails with that load. Performance was great.

Shoot 130 Accubonds now, but those are probably like unicorns in any kind of factory load.

I shoot this exact ammo out of my X Bolt 6.5 Creedmoor, and it shoots great. Also use it out of my Featherweight in .308 (150 grain), and it also shoots great. Unfortunately, have not shot a deer with either rifle yet, so no terminal performance on game to report.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back