Caribou Gear

Pick the right spot

OntarioHunter

Couldn't find a category for general tips so thought I'd throw it out here in the "freindly" chat forum.

Three days ago I shot a coyote sneaking on four mule deer that were preoccupied watching me. It was a difficult shot about a hundred yards in a nasty wind mostly blowing in my direction. Standing offhand I was weaving and bobbing but still put the bullet about where I expected, behind his left shoulder exiting right paunch. Later just before dusk shooting prone off my bipod on top of my pack I missed a buck at about 300 yards in same sidewind about 50 mph (enough to blow me off my feet at one point). Not surprising I missed ... more surprising that I'd even take that shot, especially so late in the day. I was well rested and fairly steady (though far from rock solid). In that hurricane I was guessing at windage which is bonehead stupid. The next day I shot my buck (suspect it was same one) in a roughly 25 mph sidewind offhand from my feet at about 70 yards. He stood for me so I had time to settle down. I almost squeezed off but was wobbling WAY too much. I'm thinking to myself "What the hell, you bore down on a tiny coyote at a hundred yards in twice the breeze but now you can't get settled on this big body buck at much less distance and half the wind velocity?" Then it hit me. I was aiming at the deer, not a spot on the deer. The reason was because in the scope I was also watching the buck's head to see what he was thinking. The second he stops looking at me, I must shoot. I stopped looking for what he was doing and focused on what I needed to do. Picked a spot in the center of his front shoulder and concentrated on hitting it. I was still weaving around but now I was weaving around that spot. I anticipated my movement, squeezed it off, and placed the bullet squarely in his left front shoulder. Killed that buck instantly.

I recall my PH telling me to follow the stripe on the side of the springbuck to where it disappears near the front shoulder and shoot the ram there. Aim at the spot, not the animal.

Maybe don't be shooting at things in a windstorm in the first place.
Who cares about the coyote. Mostly checking to see if my gun was still reasonably zeroed after the long drive here from Ontario. If I miss, so what? The shot later in the day in the field was indeed dumb. And I knew it as soon as I fired. Glad it was a clean miss. The next day the buck I shot wasn't that far. No need to guess the windage in a 25 mph wind at that close range. If I couldn't settle down, I wouldn't take the shot. No big deal. I can just keep hunting and shoot another one. Hit him right on the money. Down and didn't wiggle. Not an easy shot but doable once I picked a spot.20221031_131148.jpg

All you have to do is see your crosshairs where you want to hit and then put your concentration in the trigger press.

to me shooting a running coyote or like shooting birds with a shotgun. It’s all feel. I’ve never looked at my bb on the end of a shotgun and made a lead.

Gotta feel it.

I miss a lot mainly because if I see a coyote I’m shooting. Distance and wind plays no factor in my lobbing bullets at tremendous distances.

How far do I need to lead a running coyote at 1,500 yards with a 40mph cross wind?

to me shooting a running coyote or like shooting birds with a shotgun. It’s all feel. I’ve never looked at my bb on the end of a shotgun and made a lead.

Gotta feel it.

I miss a lot mainly because if I see a coyote I’m shooting. Distance and wind plays no factor in my lobbing bullets at tremendous distances.

How far do I need to lead a running coyote at 1,500 yards with a 40mph cross wind?
Guy I hunted with in Arkansas used to shoot snow geese at obscene heights that way. He would shout "lead em by a school bus!"

I'd been shooting animals just behind the shoulder for years and it's worked out well. But also makes me wonder why I ask much of my rifles. I use 8 1/2 x 11 typing paper to make my targets and there an aiming point on them, just like your's,,,I think. Not really shooting at the paper but rather the aiming point. Ya got a 1/2" load? Remove the aiming point and see if you stillgot a 1/2" gun! Shooting at an animal there is seldom if ever an aiming point, just the whole target! Probably explains why we sometime don't do as well as we should. Pig I shot this year I had an aiming point. Spot just behind the head where the neck comes out. Hit it too, pig was dead before it hit the ground. Gonna see about a deer tag again this year. Gonna use the same aiming point but keep the range to 200 yds or less. should be able to hit that spot, about a 2" group at 200yds should get me there. But better is I have an aiming point I can see. I wouldn't try it a whole lot farther as the aaiming point appears to be smaller and rifle will group a bit bigger. I have killed a pretty good number of deer with neck shots and they work well. But aiming at the whole neck is back to shooting at a target with no aiming point! Closer you get to the body, the bigger the target get's.

Just though of it. Knew a guide in Alaska that sighted in his rifle at a plain paper plate from 100 yds. How big is a paper plate? He didn't shoot small groups but was satified to hit the plate! So that is what, about an 8" target at 100 yds? He's got your back!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back