Pick apart my clothing list please!

I'm a first time backpack hunter and was planning on a wyoming muley rifle hunt this year. Well I didn't get my tag so I switched gears to Colorado archery elk. Now I bought all my gear for the cold weather of wyoming. Now that I've switched it up, I'm not sure what to bring. I don't want to be overkill for the first week of September. Would you guys/gals help me by picking my clothing list apart? I will be around 10k feet in elevation.

All First light except socks and underwear.
Top:
Wick 150 long sleeve
Klamath hoodie
Furnace 350 Henley
Corrugated guide jacket
Chamberlin down puffy

Bottoms:
Smartwool Merino 150 boxer brief x2
Merino heavyweight sock (foot problems so I wear heavyweight all year long for cushion)
Furnace 350 zip off boot top long John's
Corrugated foundry pants
Uncompaghre puffy pant

I have absolutely no idea what all those items are, but here is the basic gist of what I usually take for a backpacking archery hunt:

Light weight to midweight pants
Lightweight longjohns
Two pairs wool socks

light weight base layer quarter zip
Midweight pull over
Puffy coat
Soft shell
Raingear top and bottom

Depending on how late in the season I’m going, I may substitute the light weight long johns for a Midway, and maybe throw in a vest as well. Don’t forget a lightweight beanie and some lightweight gloves.

Not sure where you are from but coming to Colorado for a backpack hunt I would bring two bags. Bring all your layers and then leave a bag in the truck with the layers that don’t match the weather. Sometimes it’s shorts weather and sometimes it’s puffy weather. Also depends on what part of the state you are hunting in…

Better to leave layers in the truck that back at home and wish you brought them.

That’s good advice from @Dsnow9

If weight/space is not an issue for you carry all you want. But it looks to me like you have too much stuff for Colorado in early September.
For me I pack the following:
Top- a merino base layer, Long sleeve middle layer type shirt, a puffy jacket, And lightweight packable rain jacket
Bottom- merino base layer and early season pants And lightweight packable rain pants.
That is enough to keep me comfortable even in the higher 12K altitude range. If the wind is ripping too hard I just throw on the rain jacket to cut the wind, I don’t see a real need for a outer shell type heavy jacket. This gear is based on mid 30s for the low and low 70s for the high.

Top:
Wick 150 long sleeve
Klamath hoodie
Chamberlin down puffy

Bottoms:
Merino heavyweight sock (foot problems so I wear heavyweight all year long for cushion)
Corrugated foundry pants
Uncompaghre puffy pant
I'd bring a light weight rain jacket as well, doesn't need to be camo or a hunting brand just whatever you have.

I'd loose the furnace gear if you're bringing puffys, and def. would add rain gear. To add, for me personally always have separate sleep clothing, but I'm a cold sleeper.

I'm a first time backpack hunter and was planning on a wyoming muley rifle hunt this year. Well I didn't get my tag so I switched gears to Colorado archery elk. Now I bought all my gear for the cold weather of wyoming. Now that I've switched it up, I'm not sure what to bring. I don't want to be overkill for the first week of September. Would you guys/gals help me by picking my clothing list apart? I will be around 10k feet in elevation.

Top:
Wick 150 long sleeve
Klamath hoodie
Furnace 350 Henley
Corrugated guide jacket
Chamberlin down puffy

Bottoms:
Corrugated foundry pants
Uncompaghre puffy pant
The only change I would make is to ditch the furnace and corrugate tops for a light rain great jacket. I also might swap out the Chamberlin for an unpronounceable.

ColoI'm a first time backpack hunter and was planning on a wyoming muley rifle hunt this year. Well I didn't get my tag so I switched gears to Colorado archery elk. Now I bought all my gear for the cold weather of wyoming. Now that I've switched it up, I'm not sure what to bring. I don't want to be overkill for the first week of September. Would you guys/gals help me by picking my clothing list apart? I will be around 10k feet in elevation.

Top:
Wick 150 long sleeve
Klamath hoodie
Furnace 350 Henley
Corrugated guide jacket
Chamberlin down puffy

Bottoms:
Corrugated foundry pants
Uncompaghre puffy pant

Top:
Wick 150 long sleeve
Klamath hoodie
Furnace 350 Henley
Corrugated guide jacket
Chamberlin down puffy

Bottoms:
Corrugated foundry pants
Uncompaghre puffy pant

Light/midweight puffy and rain shell would be my preference. I probably wouldn’t bring puffy pants, but I run hot and archery elk is a pretty mobile kind of hunt.

For most late September hunts I spend most of the day in light/midweight pants, no long johns, and some kind of quarter zip and maybe a vest on top. I’d have a puffy, hard shell, and maybe an extra base layer/mid layer shirt in my pack with a warm hat and gloves.

Colorado can be tricky, my Elk hunt out of Craig, Colorado in October last was hot at base camp but when we horse camped up at The area know as California Park at 12,000 ft. We were snowed on for 2 days with a wind from the north it was more than cold. Prepare accordingly.😉

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I forgot to say that I am packing kryptek poseiden pants and top. I think I will leave the puffy pants, furnace top, and Corugate guide jacket at the truck. I have club foot so my legs are tiny so the furnace Bottoms are going to help me out in the am. I appreciate the help!

We were at 9000 ft mid September few years ago and it was 24 at night 65 during day. Ground was frozen in shadows of pine trees at 3 pm. Good advice take with you and leave in truck.

In the high Mountains it can make you sweat and then make you freeze in a short time.
When we pack in on horse back I carry a Morrison's insulated drovers oil skin coat and my winter motorcycle pants. Don't get cold, it ruins the fun.

In the high Mountains it can make you sweat and then make you freeze in a short time.
When we pack in on horse back I carry a Morrison's insulated drovers oil skin coat and my winter motorcycle pants. Don't get cold, it ruins the fun.
Wait… your not supposed to get cold! I’ve been doing this all wrong!

70684A2E-4199-4CA8-8656-FDAB76962EAA.jpeg

For September in CO, I'd scratch the furnace and guide jacket in favor of a puffy vest and a rain jacket and potentially go with a lighter weight down puffy. For the bottom, the smartwool boxer briefs are money. From there I'd go with a light long underwear (preferably with a zip off), the corrugate pants and then a rain pant.
For that time of year, it will likely be around freezing at night and then up into the 60s or 70s during the day, but last year it snowed and was really cold during the first week of archery, so really anything is possible.

Back