Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Pheasant hunting without dogs

Mark their falls against the horizon. If you have a buddy who does the same thing and you both immediately march on that line, you will triangulate on that bird better than you might think. But no deviations for going around briars, don't stop to reload, or even look down at your boots. March. It works.
I lost both my brittanies in the last 12 months, but they had both been couch-dwellers for a while before that at advanced ages so I found myself hunting pheasants solo and dogless a lot for all of the 2017-18 season. I tell you one thing - hunting wild pheasants solo/dogless is the bird hunting equivalent of traditional archery hunting. Walk slow through strip cover and edge cover. Stop every 10-20 paces for 5-10 seconds. The 'pause' drives them insane. I learned more about pheasant behavior in those two seasons than many years combined of hunting behind good dogs.

As everyone notes, finding downed/crippled birds is the single biggest issue when dogless. Brent's method is great. When I'm solo, I carry a roll of surveyors tape in my vest pocket and mark the nearest visible plant/branch/weed/stalk/grass clump/whatever to where the bird fell in my mind/eye. I tie a piece of tape to something where I'm standing (without looking away from my mental 'mark) - then I walk directly to the mark and tie a piece to that too.

That gives me a starting line of travel and makes it easier to piece together a 'fan' from that point. Usually - if the bird is crippled and running, it's going dead away from where I shot so line the two points up and start on that azimuth, then rinse and repeat in a fanned-out grid of sorts. They can be hard to find even if they are dead. I've spent 45 minutes looking for a bird that turned out to be stone dead within 5-10 feet of where I taped the 'drop point'

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back