Pheasant Hunting South or North Dakota

We’ve been looking Fire Steel Creek Lodge as a potential option.

I've been there. 1st class operation. Les and his family are first class. Fields are large and the food plots are epic. Food is excellent and the bars are well-stocked. The guest kennels are better than some lodges I've stayed in. As a testament to their commitment to the dogs all the UTVs carry antivenom in the field, or at least they did when I was there. I totally enjoyed the experience. Isabel is small but friendly.

I can't speak for SD but numbers in ND are way down from a decade ago. While I was home visiting family after my deployment last December I spent 3 days hunting various pieces of public, private, PLOTS lands. All of which contained great habitat, we flushed 5 or 6 hens and I shot one rooster. Some of that had to do with all the standing corn last year, but ND has lost a lot of habitat in the last 10 years. Good luck with whatever you choose to do whether it's a lodge or on your own.

I can't speak for SD but numbers in ND are way down from a decade ago. While I was home visiting family after my deployment last December I spent 3 days hunting various pieces of public, private, PLOTS lands. All of which contained great habitat, we flushed 5 or 6 hens and I shot one rooster. Some of that had to do with all the standing corn last year, but ND has lost a lot of habitat in the last 10 years. Good luck with whatever you choose to do whether it's a lodge or on your own.
This is almost exact same story in SD. Loss of public land, CRP and general habitat with more converted to farming is seriously hurting the general population. Of course there are many private places and operations that still maintain good habitat and birds. If I didn't have a good bird dog and didn't like walking and just being out and about, it would be more grim. There is just something about a rooster flushing loudly after being pointed by your dog that will probably always get me.

Thanks for all the info. I plan on doing some DIY hunts later in the season in my home state of MT. My GSP is ten months old currently so it will be her first season on birds!

Attachments

• 6D6706B9-B6C1-4E46-A249-EB40F1AC9302.jpeg
    6D6706B9-B6C1-4E46-A249-EB40F1AC9302.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back