Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Petition to ban all trapping in Colorado

Oak

Expert
The CPW Commission will consider a citizen's petition to ban all commercial trapping at their March 17-18 meeting. Because documents have not yet been posted on the Commission website, I'm not going to share the petition yet. However, the following is the first paragraph of the cover letter. Something to watch for, and perhaps a reason to watch the Sportsperson's Roundtable meeting this evening.

The Humane Society of the United States, Humane Society Veterinary Medical
Association, Animal Help Now, Animal Legal Defense Fund, Center for Biological
Diversity, Colorado Voters for Animals, Endangered Species Coalition, Footloose
Montana, Mountain Lion Foundation, Predator Defense, Project Coyote, Nevada Wildlife
Alliance, Northeast Oregon Ecosystems, Sierra Club, Trap Free Montana, Trap Free
Montana Public Lands, Western Watersheds Project, Western Wildlife Conservancy,
WildEarth Guardians and Wyoming Untrapped request that the Colorado Parks and
Wildlife Commission disallow the trapping of wildlife for recreation and commerce
for the reasons that we elaborate on more fully in our citizen’s petition to the
Colorado Parks and Wildlife (CPW) Commission that is filed herewith. We also file
all the journal articles we have cited in the petition into the administrative record,
which we have uploaded and made available to the CPW Commission as part of this
rulemaking.

Can anyone just propose anything? Seems like they intend to keep wasting everyone's time, every year. What's the process to get this before the Commission?

OMG!!! Enough Already!!!
Don’t these people have anything to do?
No. All they care about is making a living by attacking what we do. Its big money for them. And theyll never stop. Never. Unless things get to the point that we lose our **** entirely and begin a campaign of extreme violence against them. They attack us non stop because they have no fear of reprisal.

No. All they care about is making a living by attacking what we do. Its big money for them. And theyll never stop. Never. Unless things get to the point that we lose our **** entirely and begin a campaign of extreme violence against them. They attack us non stop because they have no fear of reprisal.
I like your energy, but maybe let's direct it somewhere constructive.

Wouldn't spring bear have to be a state wide ballot initiative?

Honestly I don't understand how that part works, the relationship between the "ballot box biology" and the commission.

Trapping/Bears/Wolves, is there a mechanism to change any of that beyond getting it on the ballot for the fall general election?

I like your vibe as well, but idk if it’s time to initiate project mayhem just yet.
we’ll always have that card up our sleeves though. 😉

Im not suggesting anything. Just sharing my understanding of the truth. Am i wrong?
I think the issue is that hunters aren't as good at working through the system. I guess except for in MT, though that's not a great example.

To my knowledge hunters in CO haven't even tried to run ballot initiatives, we complain but we don't stand on street corners with clip boards.

Or in cause you haven't been listening to @Oak over the years, ever go to a meeting in person. I'm totally guilty on that front, I have yet to attend a meeting about sheep, I should I haven't.

I think the issue is that hunters aren't as good at working through the system. I guess except for in MT, though that's not a great example.

To my knowledge hunters in CO haven't even tried to run ballot initiatives, we complain but we don't stand on street corners with clip boards.

Or in cause you haven't been listening to @Oak over the years, ever go to a meeting in person. I'm totally guilty on that front, I have yet to attend a meeting about sheep, I should I haven't.
I do go to meetings in person in my home state, and sign up to speak. At least i did before all this holocough nonsense ended the meetings.

Wouldn't spring bear have to be a state wide ballot initiative?

Honestly I don't understand how that part works, the relationship between the "ballot box biology" and the commission.

Trapping/Bears/Wolves, is there a mechanism to change any of that beyond getting it on the ballot for the fall general election?
Spring bear hunting was prohibited by a ballot initiative (Initiative 10, 1992), not an amendment to the Constitution. So it could be reversed by either ballot initiative or legislation. Good luck!

They have already regulated trapping so much to the point where trapping predators that we really want to thin out in areas such as coyotes is impossible because of having to use cages.

The CPW Commission will consider a citizen's petition to ban all commercial trapping at their March 17-18 meeting. Because documents have not yet been posted on the Commission website, I'm not going to share the petition yet. However, the following is the first paragraph of the cover letter. Something to watch for, and perhaps a reason to watch the Sportsperson's Roundtable meeting this evening.

Again, the liberal agenda proving it is anything but "liberal" by definition, barf, I'm starting to actually despise these people...and I'm a pretty tolerant individual so that's saying a lot...why can't they just use their free time for constructive things like picking up their own trash at trailheads?

How much commercial trapping is there? I mean trying to catch a coyote in a have-a-hart is pointless...

Is real trapping allowed on private (I mean with leg-holds, snares, coni's, etc.)?

How much commercial trapping is there? I mean trying to catch a coyote in a have-a-hart is pointless...

Is real trapping allowed on private (I mean with leg-holds, snares, coni's, etc.)?

There are commercial guys around, the Colorado Trappers Association booth at the Stock Show is impressive, all the guys I've met have been quality dudes too.

Real trapping is very limited on private land even, if I remember correctly there is a time limit on how much you can use traps each year, like 1 month total and with prior permission.

The trapping ban was another wonderful CO ballot initiative brought to you by the pawns of the Front Range...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back