Caribou Gear

Petition to ban all trapping in Colorado

Here is the e-mail address and the text of the e-mail I sent to the CPW Commission:

[email protected]

Dear Commissioners,

I would like to encourage you to vote against this petition. It saddens me that we have to have this discussion every year and waste the commission's time when there are so many other important issues on your plates.

Imagine if these anti-trapping (anti-hunting, anti-everything) groups spent their time and money actually doing habitat work that supported more robust wildlife populations? Without hunters and trappers, we wouldn't have the abundant wildlife that we are now arguing about. A future without hunters and trappers will have no one fighting for, working for, and paying for conservation.

Thank you for all that you do!

Name
City, State

Well they can't write an article about our "first Gentleman" without mentioning

"Reis, an animal advocate" and writer,

The insanity is not going to end for some time.

Well they can't write an article about our "first Gentleman" without mentioning

"Reis, an animal advocate" and writer,

There are several bills coming down the pipe that I feel are heavily influenced by "animal advocates". Whether they be directed at hunting, Ag or what have you, they are coming.

The Commission unanimously denied this petition.
I was not impressed with any of the arguments for the petition. The idiocy of the anti-hunters saying the same things over and over (Amendment 14, indiscriminate killing/maiming) even after they have been roundly dis-proven is disappointing. The closest I can get to their position is the emotional appeal of seeing wild animals in a cage, but they try to use logical arguments that make no sense. The most humane way to kill these furbearers have been outlawed by the anti's.

Personally, I don't know a single trapper in CO and I can't imagine the few that do exist having a significant impact on any species.

If these anti-hunters want to save endangered species they should start shooting feral cats.

I was not impressed with any of the arguments for the petition. The idiocy of the anti-hunters saying the same things over and over (Amendment 14, indiscriminate killing/maiming) even after they have been roundly dis-proven is disappointing. The closest I can get to their position is the emotional appeal of seeing wild animals in a cage, but they try to use logical arguments that make no sense. The most humane way to kill these furbearers have been outlawed by the anti's.

Personally, I don't know a single trapper in CO and I can't imagine the few that do exist having a significant impact on any species.

If these anti-hunters want to save endangered species they should start shooting feral cats.

I don't know a single trapper in CO either and find it odd that the "anti" community sees the need to ban something that is really not that popular (I'll have to look for the actual numbers) and clearly not having population level impacts. At first glance, it just seems like a silly waste of their time, but at second glance (the long game), it seems like vital step in their longer term plan to end hunting. It is a shame and waste of everyone's time.

I don't know a single trapper in CO either and find it odd that the "anti" community sees the need to ban something that is really not that popular (I'll have to look for the actual numbers) and clearly not having population level impacts. At first glance, it just seems like a silly waste of their time, but at second glance (the long game), it seems like vital step in their longer term plan to end hunting. It is a shame and waste of everyone's time.
Would be interesting to pass a rule that CPW/AnimalControl/APHIS had to abide by commission rules for method of take and season.

"Fluffy got eaten in your yard, oh I'm so sorry we can't do anything about that till next fall, if our agent draws a tag for your unit."

Beaver floods a HOA in Denver... "I'm so sorry to hear that well I guess we will send out an employee with a bow, because we can't dischange a firearm and there's no body gripping traps allowed."

Here is the e-mail address and the text of the e-mail I sent to the CPW Commission:

[email protected]

Dear Commissioners,

I would like to encourage you to vote against this petition. It saddens me that we have to have this discussion every year and waste the commission's time when there are so many other important issues on your plates.

Imagine if these anti-trapping (anti-hunting, anti-everything) groups spent their time and money actually doing habitat work that supported more robust wildlife populations? Without hunters and trappers, we wouldn't have the abundant wildlife that we are now arguing about. A future without hunters and trappers will have no one fighting for, working for, and paying for conservation.

Thank you for all that you do!

Name
City, State
This is a great note, but please don't just cut and paste - take the time to write your own three paragraphs - and include a reference to your personal connection to the CO outdoors. Form letter email advocacy is most often now viewed as little more than spam by many legislators and I have actually seen a few vote the other way to spite what they viewed as bulk advocacy spam abuse.

Was it "insanity" when the advocates for the NAM spoke out against market hunting bulk slaughter of game/birds? I would guess the market hunters thought it was. I am not agreeing with these folks, but labelling them as insane does nothing to understand how to combat this issue with a broad audience.

To some extent, I would agree some view it as low hanging fruit on the path to their long game, but frankly, I think it is more about $$$ and membership. When you are an advocacy group built on shock, outrage and fear you need to give your new "believers" something to rally around while you collect their money. Preferably something that seems achievable in the near term so you get the "success" bump. So many of these groups activities are driven by where they can generate "likes" and $$$$ while signalling their virtue. Sure some have a long plan, but like most human organizations, today's budget and today's mindshare plays a big role in choices.

When I was heavy into the mountain man era I considered trying trapping for beaver. I finally decided being the hunter for the brigade would suit me better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back