Persistence Pays Off

fairchase

After 26 days of hunting on three different bait sites, it all came together Tuesday night. After only 30 min, on the first night in a new spot. This guy came in with complete silence. When I looked up to see this brute standing in front of me, I thought I was dreaming for a moment. I passed on four smaller bears in the previous weeks in hopes of taking my first adult boar. I was beginning to think it would never happen and then in an instant, everything changed. After almost 10 minutes of waiting for him to turn and give me a good shot angle. I made a double lung shot with my 280 Rem. at 40 yds. and he made a death run of 200 yds. straight down the mountain into a hell hole.

He's 6'3 head to tail and I'm guessing around 300 lbs. His head and hide alone, weighed 91 lbs.

Attachments

• Bear 05-13.jpg
    Bear 05-13.jpg
    628 KB · Views: 383
Fairchase,

That's awesome bud. That is a great looking bear. I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. Waiting for a better one to show up. Just the little ones are visiting. I have 7 days left to make it happen.

It looks like the hair is still good on him.

Fairchase,
Great job on a totally AWESOME bear. Its nice to see patience does pay off every now and again. Congradulations again.

Those little mottled splotches are really cool...

Way to go...

There was a huge pissing match here a couple years ago about bears reaching 300 lbs... :D

Major congrats... :)

Thanks Guys,
Nothing like setting a goal for yourself, and achieving it eventually.
I have to get my hide checked by fish and game today, I'm hoping they can tell me how old he is.

I am thinking about doing a half body wall mount. What do you think is the best pose? My choices are either standing with the front paws on a rock or log or a paws up,fighting pose. What would be your choice for a mount? Do any of you have a taxidermy bear photos, you could share? Thanks.

Greg

My neighbor had it done in a half pose and it looks really good, I will see if I can get a picture of it for you...

Congrats pal

I wish I could of done more to help you out. You deserved that bear. Let me know final measurements when you get them.

Darren

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back