Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Pepper Crusted Venison Loin with Cabernet Reduction

Dana

The whole family was here for dinner tonight so I made what is my absolute favorite venison meal I make. How can a guy go wrong with venison loin, cabernet, mushrooms and garlic? Here's how to do it:

Venison Loin
Course ground black pepper
Salt
Cabernet wine
Mushrooms- 8 oz
Garlic cloves minced- 4
One stick of butter
Olive Oil

Cut the venison loin into medallions or butterfly steaks as you like. Generously season with the course ground pepper and salt to taste. Press into steaks. Set aside. Start your reduction sauce first as it will take about 20 minutes to complete. In a heavy saute pan, heat about a tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Saute garlic until lightly browned. Add the sliced mushrooms and saute. Pour in 1/2 bottle of cabernet and turn heat to high. Reduce liquid volume by half. Reduce heat to medium and stir in the butter until melted thru. Reduce heat to med. low and keep warm until steaks are ready. Now heat another heavy saute pan over medium high heat. Add a couple tablespoons of olive oil. Once oil is hot, add steaks and sear each side, cooking to your desired level. I prefer medium rare. Pour mushrooms and cabernet sauce over steaks. I like it with garlic mashed potatoes. Enjoy!

Attachments

• venison cabernet sauce.jpg
    venison cabernet sauce.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 326
  • venison cab sauce.jpg
    venison cab sauce.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 305
Dang your cooking is just brutal. Making me have little man syndrome:D That looks good. You better pace yourself on all these recipes or you'll run out by hunting season. Thanks

A HALF A BOTTLE OF WINE ....Boiled away ???? Now that is just sinfull !!

I'm just B!chin' cuz I didn't get invited over ! LOL

Lawnboy, We pretty much only eat the meat that I kill hunting and fishing. I'm not too worried about running out. I've got 3 deep freezers in the garage that stay pretty full at all times. As far as the venison goes, I got 9 deer this fall so that should make it until early fall 2011.... I also hunt turkey, pheasant, quail, dove, duck, goose, rabbit, squirrel, antelope, elk, and hogs. My wife and I fish quite alot too

Gunner46, you or anyone else from HuntTalk for that matter, is welcome at my table anytime. You do any saltwater fishing in your area? I've had some fantastic grouper and snapper fishing out of Calabash. How far is that from you?

I get out a couple/ten times a season ! The job takes me from VA Beach all the way down itno Fla.

If ANYBODY from HT Ever wants to hit the Gulf Stream...I'm game !

You don't want me in your boat. Anytime I went out around Hatteras the boat broke down or we didn't ended up having to jump in the water and shoot them cause we couldn't catch anything with a rod and reel.

Wow!... Tellin ya, Dana - You make a recipe book, and they will buy.

A simple 60 page wild game and fish recipe book... Chat with BFin - haha! "Hunt Talk's Wild Cookbook"... You have a buyer here... Mix it up with other posters recipes here and presto - You have my $! Cover costs and --- well hell - simply put, I would buy it for $20. (or $30 to know $10 goes to some charity youth hunt deal of some sort...)

mdunc8, I'll get some upland bird stuff up for sure.

Gunner46, my business is taking me to FL in a couple weeks, so I've got a boat booked to fish the Gulfstream out of Miami Beach. I'm looking forward to it!

Sytes, that is certainly a possiblity. My wife is an artist/designer and has written around a dozen books. Her publisher in London has been trying to get me to do a cookbook for them to publish. So far I have evaded that.... ;) I dont cook for money, just fun, and enjoy sharing my love of food with others. I have however given in to doing a regular segment on the wife's new web TV show. We'll see how that goes... she's been in front of the camera on HGTV, DIY, PBS etc for years... me, not so much!

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newhunter2
Back