Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Pedestal mount with deadfall and brush with pine trees as base?

I'm a taxidermist , as a general rule I like to have pedestal mount animals eye level , their eyes the same height as your eyes off the floor, with elk with big antlers you have to adjust because of ceiling height , I think your 61" will be fine.

I really like the direction you are going with the mount will be amazing when finished. I have heard good things about joe but have not used him.

Starting to look like an elk with the skin on! Still wet, and no detail work done yet, but it is starting to take shape for sure.

elk_skin_on.jpg

I think we are going to tilt it back some like the ones in the pictures above. Not as tilted as the 2nd one, but I think it needs to have the eyes at least an inch or two higher than the top of the shoulder.

That will actually give a few inches of clearance between the G4 and the ceiling and will get the eye around 64" or so off the ground. A little high for a average sized woman to look at, but about right for an average sized man to be eye to eye with it.

Any thoughts on tilting it back a little?

Thanks, Nathan

Npaden,. Your pm box is full..

Looking for help from anyone.

The elk mount at top of this thread, I am interested if anyone can help me.

I am trying to find out dimensions for the pedestal base to built it.

I shot PA Bull this year and this is the exact same way i want him mounted.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated or pointed in the direction to talk to the taxidermist that mounted him.

I already PM him on MonsterMuley but not sure he is on there any more.

Thank you

I usually try to go back and update my posts with the final results but I guess I never did that on this one.

Here's the final version of my bull:

elk_ped1.jpg

elk_house1.jpg

I didn't ever get the information on that first pedestal, but I can take some measurements on mine if that helps any. I know we had to end up lowering mine a tiny bit from my original plan to make sure it fit with an 8' ceiling.

I cleared some of my PMs. Wish we could keep more than 100.

Nathan

I usually try to go back and update my posts with the final results but I guess I never did that on this one.

Here's the final version of my bull:

elk_ped1.jpg

elk_house1.jpg

I didn't ever get the information on that first pedestal, but I can take some measurements on mine if that helps any. I know we had to end up lowering mine a tiny bit from my original plan to make sure it fit with an 8' ceiling.

Nathan

Thank you.

If u could give me idea on measurements of ur base.
I'm gonna try to build the first one for my bull.

Great Bull and Mount. Congratulations

Nathan

I feel your PM pain.

What I have done that has helped some is by going to "settings" and into the general settings, then Email and notifications options, turned on the email option. Any time a PM is sent, email notification (with the message included) arrives in my email inbox. I then save said message into a folder cleverly named HuntTalk PM's. I have found that it may take multiple hours for the actual email notification to hit my AOL inbox.

Another option to consider in helping make HuntTalk more user friendly....... I also have signed up for "pop-up new PM notification". If a member were to PM when I am currently logged on at HuntTalk, a pop-up window shows up to alert me to the new message. If one were to be sent while I am offline, I get the notification as I log in. Seems to make the PM conversation flow better without days passing before I realize one has been sitting there for me to read.

PS: stupendous original story told on your elk hunt, and a fantastic trophy wonderfully displayed.

Thank you.

If u could give me idea on measurements of ur base.
I'm gonna try to build the first one for my bull.

Great Bull and Mount. Congratulations

The base is an octagon and is 30" wide at the widest point. The bottom of the form (the top of the rock) sits right at 29" off the ground. There is about 6" of 1/2" rebar sticking out of the top of the fake rock and there is a hole in the bottom of the form so the pedestal and the mount can be taken apart easily.

To get it set up in the house we had to tilt the entire thing back at an angle though because would couldn't lift the mount up high enough without the antlers hitting the ceiling to get it on the form. The tilt of the rebar coming out of the rock was something we worked on as well, I liked the head slightly tilted up with the eyes slightly higher than the shoulder. This will also change how high the antlers stick up, if you had the head tilted down then the antlers would stick up higher and you would have to lower the mount.

Mine sits at 58" tall at the shoulder which would be about the height he would have been in real life. I think we originally were planning on it standing 60" at the shoulder (RMEF states that bull elk stand 5' at the shoulder) but we dropped it a couple inches to make sure on the ceiling clearance. I think we would have been okay at 60" but I don't think 2" matters much.

Hope that helps. Nathan

I feel your PM pain.

PS: stupendous original story told on your elk hunt, and a fantastic trophy wonderfully displayed.

Thanks. I need to just archive the old messages (some date back to 2011 when I first joined), but oh well.

Thanks for the comments on the elk everyone. I never tire of looking at it and I see it pretty much everyday. I glanced over at it a couple times just while I was typing this reply! :cool:

The base is an octagon and is 30" wide at the widest point. The bottom of the form (the top of the rock) sits right at 29" off the ground. There is about 6" of 1/2" rebar sticking out of the top of the fake rock and there is a hole in the bottom of the form so the pedestal and the mount can be taken apart easily.

To get it set up in the house we had to tilt the entire thing back at an angle though because would couldn't lift the mount up high enough without the antlers hitting the ceiling to get it on the form. The tilt of the rebar coming out of the rock was something we worked on as well, I liked the head slightly tilted up with the eyes slightly higher than the shoulder. This will also change how high the antlers stick up, if you had the head tilted down then the antlers would stick up higher and you would have to lower the mount.

Mine sits at 58" tall at the shoulder which would be about the height he would have been in real life. I think we originally were planning on it standing 60" at the shoulder (RMEF states that bull elk stand 5' at the shoulder) but we dropped it a couple inches to make sure on the ceiling clearance. I think we would have been okay at 60" but I don't think 2" matters much.

Hope that helps. Nathan

Nathan,

Thank you very much. I appreciate you taking the time to help me.

I hope my PA Bull turns out as nice as yours.

I will post it up next year when completed.

Thank you again.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adscarpernter
Back