Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Paying a moving company worth it?

In all my moves the government paid for it. I did opt to move myself once but it was failry simple since we sold a house and moved to onbase houseing. Knowing we would move to a new duty location soon we left 80% of our stuff packed. Since retiring Ive moved once on my own, during winter in MT!

Things to think about on movers, they will have a crew come in and pack/bix. Then another to load you onto the truck. If your locations have odd hallways or small doors, stairs etc it is really worth the money to have strong backs. Imagine asking a few friends then your moving a safe or a panio and they throw their back out or get hurt. You’re going to feel like crap, if that happens to a mover it should be covered under their insurance/workers comp.

Also take the advise given a few times, get rid of the old junk now!

One couple I know hired movers. Paid agreed amount in advance. When the movers showed up at the new place, they wouldn’t unload without additional payment. Couple had written/signed contract/agreement. Movers held their stuff ransom for a few days until they “agreed” to pay the extra but met the movers at the new place with local law enforcement. It took some work to even get help from law enforcement because they were initially told it was a “civil matter” and law enforcement couldn’t do anything. Sounded like the law took pity on them and basically bluffed the movers. I’m sure there are legitimate companies, but some scoundrels too. What a nightmare. They rented a truck for their next move.

I've been moved by companies lock stock and barrel, none would take anything related to firearms, reloading equipment. So it was in back of my pickup. Moving is absolute time to have garage sale prior to moving, what didn't sell went to Goodwill, neighbors or just out front with free sign (lasts maybe 30 min at best!). I had friend that used pods and he loved them! Less hassle on what is in them with exception for obvious for hazmat stuff like gasoline. He used case hardened padlocks on them and no issue at all. Biggest issue is securing the mounts so they don't get damaged. My last move one of the mount boxes shows up with arrow down dammit! We unpacked it in front of them and mount was damaged and documented. Highly recommend anything with serial number gets photo and documented. All electronics MUST be serialized and photos to show flat scsreens were flat when they left....Also pays to have tons of photos of furniture to show no rips or other damages. We also had stuff disappeared and never seen again. Weird stuff too, I had a lot of trophies from my horse days, they all disappeared. WTHello why? Did I mention photos? Never can have too many. If I move again, I will look hard at the pods options for sure and hire muscle at both ends to move heavy stuff. Too freaking old to lift a sofa, recliner etc.

Thanks for the replies.

100% plan on cleaning out all the accumulated crap. Not taking any of the patio furniture and this might be the excuse I need to get a new grill.

I moved a lot when I was active duty at the governments expense, all hands free and the movers did it all. Spoiled with that experience, not the same situation now. Only reason I'm exploring a mover is I don't have the help I did at my last location. I really just need help here, packing and loading, I'll have plenty of help unloading.

Anyone use U-Pack? From what I'm getting from the quotes I can hire a packing/loading service locally and hire U-Pack to drive and deliver. I'll unload, might be able to get it all under 6k.

I haven't considered the deep freezer items or garage hazmat stuff.

Thanks for the replies.

100% plan on cleaning out all the accumulated crap. Not taking any of the patio furniture and this might be the excuse I need to get a new grill.

I moved a lot when I was active duty at the governments expense, all hands free and the movers did it all. Spoiled with that experience, not the same situation now. Only reason I'm exploring a mover is I don't have the help I did at my last location. I really just need help here, packing and loading, I'll have plenty of help unloading.

Anyone use U-Pack? From what I'm getting from the quotes I can hire a packing/loading service locally and hire U-Pack to drive and deliver. I'll unload, might be able to get it all under 6k.

Yes we used it to move my mom to her new place. It worked as advertised

Whether or not to hire a moving company is a personal decision. There are both pros and cons. On the one hand, the movers will handle all the heavy lifting and transport of your belongings. Besides, they can provide liability and valuation coverage in case of damage or loss. If you'll choose a reliable company, such as https://acelinemoving.com, you'll have nothing to worry about. Such movers are experienced in handling and protecting your belongings during the move. Some disadvantages are hidden fees and charges. Besides, you may have less control over the handling of your belongings. So, it's important to consider your budget, time, and physical limitations when making your decision.
This is totally a ChatGPT response. @Nameless Range is that you?

Wife and I paid for our first move ever. It was local. 3 miles as the crow flies. It was a 2100sf and a 10x10 storage unit. We wrapped and packed everything. All they had to do was move the big stuff and boxes.

ALL MY SONS MOVING quoted us $2400 and would be done in half a day. 12 hours later they left with less than half the job done, the best worker was removed from the job due to an active warrant for his arrest, two workers got into a fist fight, everything smelled like smoke, they smoked and watched me work a lot, they did about $5k of damage including punching 18 holes in the walls of our brand new home. Then they demanded $4800 due to overtime and “materials.” They didn’t move my safe, freezers, couches, or big dressers because they were “too heavy.”

My 70 year old dad and I finished the move the next day and didn’t damage a single piece of furniture or our house.

After several intense phone calls, letters from my lawyer, and Better Business Bureau intervention, we settled on the original quote price minus $1000 for the damages. I pocketed the cash and fixed everything myself.

Never use All My Sons Moving!

Thanks for the replies.

We’ve also had a couple government moves that spoiled us, though was weird to not be able to pack our own stuff. I’ve been curious how the U-pack or Pod type move would compare. Will be interested to hear your experience if you go that route.

I had three moves paid by GM when I worked for them.

The movers beat the sh*T out of my furniture/gear. Thousands of dollars in damage on each trip. Insurance company claims, etc.

Last trip wife and I managed it and paid hourly workers on each side to help. Much, much less damage. MI to ID. We packed and unpacked, paid a company to drive it for us.

I don’t know if it’s cheaper to hire a moving company but I’d never do it again based on the poor quality service I received. They know you have moving insurance and don’t care about your property.

Last edited:
It's getting real, house went on the market today. Hopeful it doesn't sit too long.

Decided to not hire a mover, rather do it in phases ourselves.

Moved a load a few weeks ago with a uhual and have it in storage in Cheyenne. Doing it again in a few weeks and taking the boat on the next haul. Will do one more following with the biggest uhual I can get once we get a closing date. My dad will haul the camper up as soon as I we find a place. Even with multiple uhual rentals, fuel and monthly rent for a unit, we'll still be well below what we we quoted for a all inclusive moving company. Average range was between 10k and 14k. Some below and few higher.

Downside to doing it this way is I'll have to move everything again from storage once we settle on the overpriced homes up there. Hopefully I can recruit some people to help when the time comes, doing it pretty much solo down here and it's not fun. Advil and bourbon make it bearable.

It's getting real, house went on the market today. Hopeful it doesn't sit too long.

Decided to not hire a mover, rather do it in phases ourselves.

Moved a load a few weeks ago with a uhual and have it in storage in Cheyenne. Doing it again in a few weeks and taking the boat on the next haul. Will do one more following with the biggest uhual I can get once we get a closing date. My dad will haul the camper up as soon as I we find a place. Even with multiple uhual rentals, fuel and monthly rent for a unit, we'll still be well below what we we quoted for a all inclusive moving company. Average range was between 10k and 14k. Some below and few higher.

Downside to doing it this way is I'll have to move everything again from storage once we settle on the overpriced homes up there. Hopefully I can recruit some people to help when the time comes, doing it pretty much solo down here and it's not fun. Advil and bourbon make it bearable.
Good luck on the home sale. We just closed on ours and will be moving the end of June, likely doing all of the work and hauling ourselves. Moving SUCKS.

Given how expensive movers are, and the fact that every single person I know who's used a professional mover has had boxes lost and items damaged...

I would only use a professional mover if the new job paid for it, and even then I'd prefer to pack the boxes myself (some companies will give you a discount for this).

One of my close friends is a Mayflower mover. If I got a relocation package for a new job, I'd hire him and his crew in a minute. In 2019 my girlfriend moved from Spokane to my house. We took a week and packed a 12 foot POD with most of what was in her house. A week or 10 days later the POD arrived on my front door and we had it unloaded in about 24 hours. For the cost savings, and the ability to spend a few days packing it was the right choice at the time. However i looked back and saw I wrote that I was officially done with moving furniture up or down stairs...

At this point if I sell/buy a home, professional moving costs WILL be in the budget .

Absolutely worth it. I am a subject matter expert on moving. I’ve moved and helped move people all my life. In my adult career, I have moved 11 times over 8 years. Two times were company paid moves where they pack up everything and load it. This last move I did not do that and it was extremely stressful. It’s worth the money.

Back