Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Park runs to get you hunt fit!

Good work Richard, that’s a great time!

I do park runs most Saturday’s here in Wellington New Zealand, when I’m not running elsewhere or hunting. They are pretty popular here. Great distance and actually a cool social event too.

Have you tried longer trail runs? They are also popular here.

New Zealand hikes are the most breath taking work outs you could ever do. End the day with a meat pie and a Tui beer for dessert

Richard, if you ever make it to the North Bay Area of California on a Wednesday night we do fun runs from pubs and back every Wednesday night. No times, no medals, and you buy your own beer.

If you want something a little longer and more challenging you can enter one of at least 3 trail races that happens Weekly around the Bay Area. Training for those sure helps with recovery time on mountain hunts I've found.

How was your coastal dash Richard?

I got my record park run a couple of weeks ago, PB by 1 second!
Been off the forum for a bit, sorry for late reply.
Well done you, that really is a great time!

The race was a bit of a disaster really, a few days before the race I tore my hamstring doing sessions, so I had to rest until the race, but I took it easy and jogged around, lovely scenery though.
I'm gradually getting fit again but it still twinges just to remind me to take it a bit easier.

My friend returns from NZ after 23 months hiking and fishing in November, all self guided and he has caught some great fish, and got engaged to his girlfriend on top of a mountain out there, coming back without a penny to their names but what an experience he has had.
Pity he isn't into his hunting, I will be picking his brains when he returns, I might get down there one day, maybe @Big Fin will join me up in the mountains!

Cheers

Richard

Well that's my running completely buggered!
At the running club tonight doing sessions (I know, I know, I should have learnt from my previous time) I was sprinting against a guy 10 years my junior, and holding my own, then the hamstring went in my other leg, the pain was instant, I managed to walk a mlle back to my car, I had real trouble using the clutch to change gear to get home.
Once home, Ibuprofen and then RICE, but tonight I can barely move and the thigh has swollen.
Whilst I don't believe this is the end of my running days, I will not be doing sessions again (well probably not!) but it couldn't have happened at a worst time, the red stags are rutting hard and within a mile of my house they are roaring!

Last edited:
Bugger! That sounds terrible. Hope it heals up ok. Or you at least have some easy access hunts.
Its a lot worse this time, its been 5 days now, but I am walking every day, but it keeps reminding me that I have done some damage this time.
But against my wife advice I jumped in the truck with my rifle and night vision tonight to look for a fox, all I saw was deer, but it was great to be out in the fields (very flat fields, being careful!) and the sound of 2 rutting stags made my evening, back home in 2 hours.
BTW @Kiwi and @kiwi hunter best of luck in the semi of the world cup rugby, I can't think who you might be playing!
Cheers
Richard

Bugger! That sounds terrible. Hope it heals up ok. Or you at least have some easy access hunts.
As we all know, not long after this thread Covid hit, my running club shut down, along with the Park run and my motivation.
Put on 23lbs!
But I started to do some gentle runs (if I push it my hamstring reminds me not too!) recently, 10lbs off and starting to feel better for it.
The park runs opened up 2 weeks ago, boy am I unfit, completed 2 but only just scraped under 30 minutes!

I think my days of hunting in the mountains are done, I would hate to put other peoples lives at risk rescuing me and a knackered hamstring or worse.

Back