Painting a synthetic stock - what type of paint?

I do not have an artistic bone in my body but my wife was blessed with this ability. Her and the kids are going to paint a stock for me to complete a rifle build. What type of paint have those of you that have worked on custom synthetic stocks used? Not that it matters but it is a B&C sporter stock.

Thanks

Cerakote is perhaps the best paint out there, but I believe it has to be heat cured and might not be doable without really being set-up for that kind of painting. My son did one for me using DuraCoat and it turned out very nice. I've seen some good looking ones done with Krylon spray paint. I'd recommend DuraCoat from my limited experience.

Fishing - I should actually thank you for the idea. I showed my 8 year old the 10/22 in Deere green you guys did and he immediately wanted one of his own. We only run green here, fourth generation and there has never been a red or blue on our farms. I am looking forward (as is the Mrs) as it will be a fun off season project.

I think many of the custom stock makers use Polane-T. It's pretty pricey for one off jobs and requires a paint sprayer IIRC.

Duracoat and alumahyde are a couple I've read of people using. However, most hobby jobs use regular spraypaint. Something like the Fusion listed above. Clear top coats appear to help them stay nicer longer. The good news is your only about $3 and a few minutes away from a redo! ;)

I just saw this and I was going to post the link, but Zach beat me to it.

The end result is working well. I took it bear hunting last spring and elk/mule deer hunting this fall, and after about 14 days in the field strapped to my pack or in the gun barer there isn't any significant wear. I think the key to it is giving it a good 2-4 weeks to fully cure before you put it through too much abuse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chamoy
Back