painting a rifle stock

Thank you for the reply and great to see a nice deer down with the kids.
I was looking at your brown paint job. Mostly wondering the colour?
I don’t remember the name of the color but i believe it was rust oleum stone textured spray paint. I just lightly sanded the stock, few coats of primer, few coats of the paint, and a few coats of a flat clear coat.

I did this one last year. Picked up some plastic Rem700 stock and swapped the wood on an old 243 I had. Thought it would look better with some type of camo vs the black. I did the base layer in the textured tan finish that is pretty grippy. I have rattle can'ed a few others but never with any texture.

IMG_3206.JPGIMG_3207.JPGIMG_3212.JPG

I don’t remember the name of the color but i believe it was rust oleum stone textured spray paint. I just lightly sanded the stock, few coats of primer, few coats of the paint, and a few coats of a flat clear coat.
Okay sounds good. Thanks for taking the time to get back to me. Have a great day

Painting the Tupperware, composite, stocks is not a big deal. One must be sure to degrease well and not touch prior to painting. I always tape action and bbl. channel. Allow paint to fully dry. Krylon spray paint is very compatible to composite stocks. A good primer coat is essential. Then, if the one chooses, Rustoleum or Krylon are excellent choices. I prefer the textured paints for a good grip. Then, Montana Can Company black webbing paint over the well dried top coat. Would like to find an outlet for red webbing paint but have found nothing thus far. I suggest practice prior to painting. Good luck. I like to do my own work and enjoy the process. MTG

Attachments

• IMG_0013.jpeg
    IMG_0013.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 18
Painting the Tupperware, composite, stocks is not a big deal. One must be sure to degrease well and not touch prior to painting. I always tape action and bbl. channel. Allow paint to fully dry. Krylon spray paint is very compatible to composite stocks. A good primer coat is essential. Then, if the one chooses, Rustoleum or Krylon are excellent choices. I prefer the textured paints for a good grip. Then, Montana Can Company black webbing paint over the well dried top coat. Would like to find an outlet for red webbing paint but have found nothing thus far. I suggest practice prior to painting. Good luck. I like to do my own work and enjoy the process. MTG
There are a few companies that make webbing solution. Mix it with what color you want and spray. You can do webbing or spatter with it and it works with cerakote too.

Thank you for taking the time to send me this. It is exactly the same gun and look I’m going for.
I’m a big fan of the light earth tones and the black webbing contrast. I’ll be sure to tape all the edges before hand. As well as practice on some card board or may be even an older gun before. Hope it turns out like yours.
Thanks again and appreciate the break down.

You nailed it with the green base layer. Looks bright but really works with all the colours.
I think I’m going to stick with the solid earth and black webbing for my first attempt.
Thank you for the pics of the paint.

How easily does it wear off over time? I’m concerned with durability.

Thank you , I haven't noticed any wear yet , it's only been two months , but I'm sure it will wear a little . Not really worried about the wear , it's just a tool , LOL , like me .

Last edited:
Thank you , I haven't noticed any wear yet , it's only been two months , but I'm sure it will wear a little . Now really worried about the wear , it's just a tool , LOL , like me .
Haha, same here! The wear and tear will only be stories to remember. A little touch up will be easy to do.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
troutflys
Back