Caribou Gear

Packout sequence and Trailhead Safety

pablodiablo

Hi hunt talkers, I am planning my first solo backpacking elk hunt and thinking optimistically about packing out an animal.

If this has been answered before, I apologize, but I was wondering what sequence you'd carry out your elk parts, if you were a person packing out solo?

Second question, but I have a pickup with a "soft" tonneau cover. I like to think people are inherently good, but do you think I ought to be worried about leaving either iced coolers, coolers with meat, or possibly an elk rack in a pickup truck? Im trying to strategize how to get the animal out and have it be safe in the truck.

Thanks guys and gals!

The meat from a boned out bull elk will weigh approximately 200lbs. The head and cape are not included in that weight. For me, that's 4 trips. I would pack the meat out in order of the best cuts. Back straps and tenderloin first, followed by hind quarters, then front shoulders and neck meat etc. Bring the rack out with the last load.

People are assholes anymore. I doubt they'd steal meat or coolers, but I wouldn't leave anything else of value there, and nothing of value in plain site. I would think it should be pretty secure under a Tonneau.

Pack the rack out with your camp, or last load, personally I think this should be a rule in every state. Trophy "parts" should come out last.

One thing you could do is stage your meat piles a couple hundred yards apart; by that I mean take the first load a couple hundred yards down the trail, hang it up, go back and grab another load and repeat. That way everything stays together, if you encounter a game warden you don't have to worry about which load your tag is attached to because its all in relatively close proximity, and you can load everything in the truck together and take off without someone trying to steal it.

I agree with the others about the rack coming out last. When I leave coolers in the bed of my truck, I usually lock them all together through the handles with a cable style bike lock, then lock that to a tie down attachment in the truck bed. If someone really wanted to steal them they still could, but this makes it a lot harder to do.

I have never had anyone take my coolers or meat from the back of my truck in 21 years of hunting WY, MT and CO but it could happen. Take the meat first, cape and antlers last. They are safer on the mountain than in the back of your truck anyway.

One thing you could do is stage your meat piles a couple hundred yards apart; by that I mean take the first load a couple hundred yards down the trail, hang it up, go back and grab another load and repeat. That way everything stays together, if you encounter a game warden you don't have to worry about which load your tag is attached to because its all in relatively close proximity, and you can load everything in the truck together and take off without someone trying to steal it.

This has always confused me. I've read some states require the quarters stay together with the tag until processing. But this is impossible for every solo hunter who can't carry 200+ lbs. So how does that work in practice? Do they mean "walking distance"?

Thanks to all the hunt talkers for the great...and fast...advice! I will definitely heed your advice and racks would be last.

This forum is terrific, so thank you all for chiming in so quickly. Having experienced people who know what they are talking about is worth its weight in gold.

This has always confused me. I've read some states require the quarters stay together with the tag until processing. But this is impossible for every solo hunter who can't carry 200+ lbs. So how does that work in practice? Do they mean "walking distance"?

I can't speak for other states, but MT requires the tag stay with the largest portion of meat...

"The properly validated license must remain with the meat (including cold storage) until consumed. If quartered, the license should remain with the largest portion of the carcass."

For the first load, the tag stays on the mountain. On the 2nd or 3rd load, the tag comes with you and gets left at the truck with the largest portion while you go back to get the rest.

As for leaving meat under a Tonneau cover, people may be assholes...but so are bears. If I was worried about bears in the area, I would get it up a tree rather than risk an expensive ransacking.

I can't speak for other states, but MT requires the tag stay with the largest portion of meat...

"The properly validated license must remain with the meat (including cold storage) until consumed. If quartered, the license should remain with the largest portion of the carcass."

For the first load, the tag stays on the mountain. On the 2nd or 3rd load, the tag comes with you and gets left at the truck with the largest portion while you go back to get the rest.

This makes a lot of sense. Thank you.

The last three elk I've killed were on solo backpack trips, though on those occasions I ended up having at least some packing help after I came out w/ load 1. I usually leave sleeping gear in the woods so that I have max flexibility when I come back in. If I need to catch a couple hours of sleep or need the stash of gear for me or a meat packing buddy it's there as insurance until the last load comes out. It doesn't matter to me what meat goes in what bag, I'm looking for the payload to match the rest of what I'm carrying.

Load one: a full bag of boned out meat, rifle, and hiking stuff (headlamp, water, some food, etc.)
Load two: a full bag of boned our meat and hiking stuff
Load three: a partial bag of meat, backpack camp, and rack

When my body won't let me do it in three "person trips" I will probably quit backpack hunting elk. Just too many volume miles by the time you do a fourth round trip at 10,12,14 miles each. And less than 4 or so miles in from the THD I might as well just day hunt it and camp in comfort, unless it's like a few thousand feet of elevation every morning. Being this is the elk forum and not the backpacking forum, you may get the odd response or two re: backpack hunting elk. I don't backpack hunt elk to shoot bigger elk, I do it for the adventure, and have had some good ones.

As far as how to manage the cut tag and loads, I'd get the local warden to spell it out for you plain as day. I know how it works in WY, but clearly there is variance. If you're new to backpack hunting and aren't 100% sure of what your payload capabilities are I would recommend against banking on it with elk the first go around. The physical pain is tough, but the mental piece is tougher. Good luck and have fun!

The meat from a boned out bull elk will weigh approximately 200lbs. The head and cape are not included in that weight. For me, that's 4 trips. I would pack the meat out in order of the best cuts. Back straps and tenderloin first, followed by hind quarters, then front shoulders and neck meat etc. Bring the rack out with the last load.

This right here!! Take care of the meat first... You're not eating the head so that can stay behind and be the cherry on top once your mission is complete!

I do end up packing out some bone, but only for cuts that I want to have bone-in. There are times when I'll bone all the meat, but it's nice to have variety during the off-season and I don't mind packing a little extra. I tend to have a mental inventory of what I want to make out of the critter and start the process in the field.

Meat first, then decorations.

I have a soft tonneau cover as well. I did put an aftermarket latch on the tail-gate that can lock. Somebody could still cut the cover and get to my stuff, but I don't store anything but coolers in there when I'm in the field. If I am in a Griz centric area, I will move the coolers into the cab after I have some meat in them (if you can get them to fit).

Having packed out a number of animals a long distance I wouldn't shuttle back and forth and try moving the whole lot together. You will spend a ton of time in some pretty nasty county trying to move meat. I agree with the others to move meat first. I usually determine the order by how I feel. If its been a long exhausting day with a kill right before dark and I know I have another day then I will lighten my load for the first pack. If its morning and I have all day then I will start out heavy.

I have spoken to a couple of game wardens about what to do with the tag while packing out. I have been informed that if you are worried leave a note at the truck with the meat stating you have gone in after another load and have the tag with you. I havent ever ran into one that is so hard nosed to give you a hard time unless you havent already filled out the tag.

A couple words of advice since this is your first time (perhaps stuff you already know).

1) I would give is to take it VERY easy with a load on your back. The last thing you want to do is twist a knee or ankle while trying to pack out meat. I am a HUGE fan of walking sticks at this time and will walk like a penguin if I feel the slope is slick with rocks or snow. If you notice your focus is slipping its better to take a few minutes to rest then just pushing on.

2) Take at least one extra headlamp to help if you have to break down the animal after dark. Parachute cord is also a must. Being able to tie a leg to a tree or bush can be a life saver.

I can see how someone could think this but
I wouldn't do it. You would waste a lot of time loading/unloading, hanging and just in general handling. It would be a huge waste of precious time.

Solo hunts are great and I don't want to dump cold water on your plans. But you may want to do some research and find out if there is a local guide who can rent you packstock for a day, or who you can hire to help pack out if you get lucky. An elk is a big job even with a team. I'd hate to see anyone get in over their head with an elk on the ground. Good way to get hurt, IMO.

Another thing to keep in mind that elk quarters easily spoil in the back of a closed truck bed, even in cold weather. If they are stacked on each other with out cool wind circulating around the quarters the internal heat will lead to bone sour. If I must leave elk quarters in the bed of a truck with a canopy, I would make very sure they are propped up and separated, so air can get all around them. I would leave the windows wide open. Bacteria is a bigger problem than thieves, IMO.

Hang your quarters in a tree near your truck if you're worried until all are there to load into coolers. That would allow them to cool down before enclosing them under your cover. Ben Long has a great point about spoilage.

Temperature and time are the key factors. If you are able to keep the meat cool on the mountain then let it hang a day bone in, then bone the meat out after a day, and take the larger cuts first. If time isn't an issue then take it easy! If it is going to be warm, get the meat boned out and hanging in game bag by a creek if possible and again carry the largest cuts out first. Smaller cuts cool faster and are less at risk to spoil. Don't forget to leave proof of sex attached even to boned out meat. I also keep a spare sleeping bag, pad, and shelter at the truck. This way if I am too exhausted to make it back to my spike camp I can have a goodnights sleep or a few hour nap to recharge. Only way I stress is if it is hot and I need to get the meat in a cooler fast. Then it is a marathon and rest will have to wait...I say this with tongue in cheek, you still have to be careful and not injure yourself.

Wondering if bringing/attaching photocopies of your actual tag to your various quarters/game bags would make it easier to "prove" that this is your animal and there are no shenanigans going on as you shuttle your harvest off the hill?

I seem to recall several years ago a HuntTalker shared a story about mixed up quarters, and somebody trying to claim his kill as theirs. He had slipped a cartridge case under a skin flap and was able to tell the G&F where to look to bolster his claim of ownership.

If you are hunting several miles from your truck make sure you get the meat you are leaving behind in a nice cool spot and deboned. Take the meat a small distance from the carcass and tie up in a tree in the shade. This has served me well. Good luck and like others have said spoilage is much more of a concern at least where I hunt.

Back