Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Packing out a buffalo???????

Thanks Elkhunter. So you search for the bison that leave the prohibited shooting area.
This is more of a herd management shoot than a hunt? Are they diffcult to locate?
No insinuation, just professing my ignorance in advance.

I know a lot of people who have gotten the tag and did not even see one. They roam on the forest lands in a stretch of about 30 miles long, not just the flats and open areas, but also in the timber and hillsides. I have seen them several miles up drainages into the national forest. It is not just a case of driving, seeing a buffalo and shooting it. It can lead to a lot of leg work and/or horseback to locate them. G&F is pretty good about letting you know where most of them are though.

Isn't any hunt considered herd management?

"Isn't any hunt considered herd management?"

Yes, I suppose it would be. I appreciate your reply & good luck to you and Buzz with getting a chance to go.

Sounds like fun to me.. I need to get in on that. Whats the non resident fee? Good luck to you guys. I hope you both get one.

Elkhunter, Why not use the 375 H&H? Seems it would be just about right, and ought to be good out to 300 yards or so. As far as packing one out, I'd be thinking about getting one of those game carts. That would be the way to go unless you're on real steep ground. Sure would save your back (and your volunteers/victims.)

Boman, don't rightly know what the non res tag goes for. I think it is $17 for a non res to get on the priorty list. Everyone must applly first for the priority list. Then it is a numbers game. Once all requirements are met, then you go in and purchase your buffalo tag. I could not find it on the web site and I do not have a non res booklet.

WH, I have alredy christened the 375 H&H and the 45-70, that is why I am stongly considdeering my #1 in 458 win mag or my Raging Bull 454 Casull.

I am not worried about my back, not the suckers that come to help. I have a horse and he may just have to earn his keep. The problem is that my horse hates buffalo. They are not small animals by no means with bulls reaching up to 2000 pounds. Just the head on the sucker can be like 300 pounds. A game cart would not work in a most of the places I am thinking of. Great suggestion though. May have to consider that has an option.

elkhunter,

It looks like I will be going on a hunt down there too, although I won't get to pull the trigger myself. My girlfriend is #13 on the cow list. I've been putting in for years and haven't even come close, I talked her into puting in this year and she get's # 13 ;go figure. :confused:

DUDE !!!! Keep my cell Number handy.. Depending the time of the Year, It's not a Far drive for me ;)

Good luck guys !!

pointer. I would think his chances would be pretty good. Did he draw for bull or cow? I am going to stop by G&F this week and try and get some more information and post it.

Back