Packaging a rifle for USPS shipping

I ended up just buying the cheapest gun case off Amazon that I could find. Figured I could use the box that it came in…

View attachment 277268

I was going to suggest that he buy a cheap hardcase online and it will come in a box that you can use to ship it. Course the length of the box suggests firearm and steal me. If that's a Flambeau case you can buy them pretty cheap at WalMart.

Most usps locations don't know their own regs. Most don't bother with the form. It basically states that it's a firearm and it's being shipped legally to or from an ffl. They're supposed to be kept on file with the postmaster but end up in the box instead.
I've dealt with a few people stating their local office wouldn't let them ship long guns and they ended up having to provide usps regulations to their postmaster to be able to do so.
That form applies only to dealers and manufacturers.

I was going to suggest that he buy a cheap hardcase online and it will come in a box that you can use to ship it. Course the length of the box suggests firearm and steal me. If that's a Flambeau case you can buy them pretty cheap at WalMart.
I didn’t buy it for the case, I bought it because I needed a cardboard box big enough to fit two rifles, that had no firearm related labeling on the outside, without having to order a 25 pack from Uline.

Did I essentially spend $25 for a box that also came with a POS gun case - yup. Did my rifles get to where they were going - also yup.

I didn’t buy it for the case, I bought it because I needed a cardboard box big enough to fit two rifles, that had no firearm related labeling on the outside, without having to order a 25 pack from Uline.

Did I essentially spend $25 for a box that also came with a POS gun case - yup. Did my rifles get to where they were going - also yup.
Still if you want to ship a gun in a case the best way to get both is to buy a case online and it will come in a box. At Amazon you can request that the shipping box be covered so as not to reveal contents. Knowledgeable thieves can figure contents pretty quickly. I've shipped and received rifles and rifle parts that way for many years. My smith usually didn't let me know when stuff shipped so a couple times I unexpectedly found boxes by the front door.

Last time I tried to ship a *scope* through a local FedEx store, guy acted like I'd brought in a live nuclear weapon and plunked it down on his desk.

Shipping a Glock back for warranty work through the shipping hub was easy-peasy, though.
I had the same experience trying to ship a scope through the local UPS store

Walmart has plastic gin case for $7.88. and ya get the cardboard box it comes in. Cheaper than Amazon. 50" long

I shipped a long gun usps not long ago and the hardest part was finding a box. Finally found a "some assembly required" furniture box and cut it down. I already had a cheap but surprisingly durable hardside case.

If i dont have the factory box, Complete rifles I put in a hard case and shrink wrap the case. Then bubble wrap around the hard case and into a heavy wall cardboard box. FFL & my info INSIDE the hard case as well as the exterior of the cardboard box. Two rolls of shipping tape is about what it takes...

Barrels or barreled actions I ship in cut down heavy wall cardboard cylinders that my deep sea poles are shipped to me in. These are 4-7" diameter and over 1/4" wall thickness, USPS proof. A piece of 6" Sonotube from Home Creepo would work also.
20230526_121810.jpg20230526_121750.jpg

I recommend a hard case with additional packing inside. Add bubble wrap to the muzzle and butt along with optic. Wrap the whole thing in cardboard. No mention of firearms on the outside package. If you're doing USPS you should fill out form 1508.
This.
Do NOT expect the cheap egg crate style foam in a cheap hard case to do the job. I have received more than one rifle sticking out of a plastic hard case because they SLIDE in there.
Wrap them in bubble wrap before placing them in a cheap hard case, if you choose to use one.

I find a sturdy box and a boatload of bubble wrap taped around the rifle work better for less money.'

And, as noted, no form 1508 needed.
Do it Priority Mail they will pick it up for free at your front door.

If I didn't have the original box I would buy a cheap hard plastic case Like others have mentioned. That eliminates and pointy edges on the rifle from poking thru a cardboard box. Using the box the plastic case comes in is a great idea if its the right size.

This.
Do NOT expect the cheap egg crate style foam in a cheap hard case to do the job. I have received more than one rifle sticking out of a plastic hard case because they SLIDE in there.
Wrap them in bubble wrap before placing them in a cheap hard case, if you choose to use one.

I find a sturdy box and a boatload of bubble wrap taped around the rifle work better for less money.'

And, as noted, no form 1508 needed.
Do it Priority Mail they will pick it up for free at your front door.
You could also get a short piece of 1" x 1" wood and drill a hole part way through so that if fits on the muzzle and tape it onto the end of the barrel.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back