Packaging a rifle for USPS shipping

AlaskaHunter

I have a rifle I want to ship using US Postal Service.
Anyone have any tips on where to get a cardboard shipping container for a long rifle?
Thanks.

I just used an arrow box. Broke it down. Wrapped the gun in clear plastic. Wrapped the box in brown paper. Put copy of my DL and destination FFL in box. Sent it off.

Attachments

• 20230209_125809.jpg
    20230209_125809.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
I have a rifle I want to ship using US Postal Service.
Anyone have any tips on where to get a cardboard shipping container for a long rifle?
Thanks.
If at all possible, take the action out of the stock. Greatly reduces the chance of breakage. Also shortens the package. But be sure the two pieces can not shift and collide with each other.

You can ask for a box at any gun shop or store that sells gun. They may charge a bit for these. Otherwise, you probably need to make one from some larger box - like an appliance box.

I've gone to a gun store and asked if they had any boxes. The store owner took me outside the store where they put all their cardboard for recycling. There weren't any long enough but I grabbed a few and at home made one box out of two. I've also just used regular heavy duty cardboard boxes and cut them as needed, and with lots of tape, made boxes that were just the size I needed.

I recommend a hard case with additional packing inside. Add bubble wrap to the muzzle and butt along with optic. Wrap the whole thing in cardboard. No mention of firearms on the outside package. If you're doing USPS you should fill out form 1508.

I recommend a hard case with additional packing inside. Add bubble wrap to the muzzle and butt along with optic. Wrap the whole thing in cardboard. No mention of firearms on the outside package. If you're doing USPS you should fill out form 1508.
Yes that is why I liked the cheap case from Amazon suggestion.

Wonder what would happen at the Fed ex store if you plopped one down on the counter to pack'n ship?
Last time I tried to ship a *scope* through a local FedEx store, guy acted like I'd brought in a live nuclear weapon and plunked it down on his desk.

Shipping a Glock back for warranty work through the shipping hub was easy-peasy, though.

I've got a lot more than C&Rs you know. There is no form needed to ship a long gun through the USPS.
Most usps locations don't know their own regs. Most don't bother with the form. It basically states that it's a firearm and it's being shipped legally to or from an ffl. They're supposed to be kept on file with the postmaster but end up in the box instead.
I've dealt with a few people stating their local office wouldn't let them ship long guns and they ended up having to provide usps regulations to their postmaster to be able to do so.

Most usps locations don't know their own regs. Most don't bother with the form. It basically states that it's a firearm and it's being shipped legally to or from an ffl. They're supposed to be kept on file with the postmaster but end up in the box instead.
I've dealt with a few people stating their local office wouldn't let them ship long guns and they ended up having to provide usps regulations to their postmaster to be able to do so.
I have read through the regs and I see no mention of it anywhere. While I agree that some do not know all the regs - most know a lot of them. And I've been through 3 postmasters here over the years.

I have had one USPS person say I could not mail a gun, until I made him call his postmaster. Otherwise, they have all been great. I have not seen any mention of this form in the regulations that I have read. If you can point it out, I'd love to see it.

You can buy boxes straight from Uline but it appears you have to buy in bundles.

I like BackofBeyond's idea of buying a cheap rifle case from Amazon. You could actually just put the rilfe in the case and then back into the box then ship.

I have read through the regs and I see no mention of it anywhere. While I agree that some do not know all the regs - most know a lot of them. And I've been through 3 postmasters here over the years.

I have had one USPS person say I could not mail a gun, until I made him call his postmaster. Otherwise, they have all been great. I have not seen any mention of this form in the regulations that I have read. If you can point it out, I'd love to see it.
You're right, I re-read the reg. The form is for ffl holders, pertaining to handguns.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back